We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night at the dessert. How cold??

Which M'Hamid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 11
Night at the dessert. How cold??

Hi,

I want to take my parents (mid 60s) for a night in the dune of Er Chigaga (M'hamid), the last week of February. My dad can't be in "extreme weather conditions" due to his health condition, so not too cold or hot. The hot part I don't think should be a problem at this time of the year but the cold might be. I've seen that the weather forecast for Zagora is 1C. I was thinking to take a 4x4 and stay in a tent.

Can anyone please comment on how cold is in a tent in the dunes at night? Is there any company to be recommended that could enssure good protection of the cold weather. I know that they provide plenty of blankets, but I need more detail as this is really important. Any comment highly appreciated!

I've been in Er Chebbi (Merzouga) in September and it wasn't cold. Is it much colder that in September?

Thanks!

Alvaro

6 replies to this topic
Nt, Australia
reviews: 13
1. Re: Night at the dessert. How cold??

Hi Alvaro

We were in the dunes for a night at Erg Chigaga in January, and it was really quite pleasant. I guess if it is raining it would be a colder experience, but if it's a clear night you just need to ensure you have lots of layers of clothing to suit the individual person.

We travelled with Your Morocco Tours, and stayed in one of the permanent camp sites. The mud brick 'room' we slept in was very warm - I guess nicely warmed by the sun during the day. It was much warmer than the outside temperature so I think your dad would find it fine. There were a couple of heavy blankets on the bed and we were 'toasty' warm all night.

I think this would be a much warmer and more pleasant experience for your dad than a tent.

Outside there was a roaring fire after dark and we sat around that with jackets, jeans etc and were very comfortable. Maybe if he was cold he could just go to bed earlier than the rest of you.

It's a wonderful experience & I hope you get to enjoy it.

All the best

Leanne

2. Re: Night at the dessert. How cold??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 pm, March 08, 2011

london
reviews: 11
3. Re: Night at the dessert. How cold??

thanks for the recommendation!

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 56
4. Re: Night at the dessert. How cold??

In the desert now it can be cold at night, at day around 12-14 degree so in the tent can be not so nice now. If your father have not so good health condition it can be difficult for him.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 52
5. Re: Night at the dessert. How cold??

Last February we did the sunset camel ride out to the prepared camp at Erg Chebbi and it was really cold. We put on so many heavy blankets on our bedding that I woke from a nightmare where I dreamt I was being pinned down and couldn't move - it was just the weight of the blankets. The other thing about the camel ride over the dunes is that it's quite hard work. Going up the dunes is fine, but coming down the other side requires a lot of bracing your body to prevent you tumbling over the camel's neck and falling off. My partner and I were quite greatful we were young and fit enough to cope but both had aching shoulders and arms the next day.

Villanueva de la...
6. Re: Night at the dessert. How cold??

In february it can be cold at night, at day around 20-25 degree but most tents in the bivouac are covered so do not woory about your father .more than that there is enough blanket in the bivouac .

Reply to: Night at the dessert. How cold??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about M'Hamid
More M'Hamid Topics