We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My trip to Erg Chigaga

Which M'Hamid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 38
My trip to Erg Chigaga

Why I wanted to go to Erg Chigaga was for to see La gran dune about which I read it is 300m high. I knew it already before it cannot be true but wanted to see it with mine own eyes.

We went to M'Hamid where we slept in a hotel. The next morning were we going in the desert, which begin first with hamada, it is only sand and stone. We had 4 × 4, a normal car can not go there in the piste. We met camels and sheep and goats. Were visiting even one oasis there on the way.

After 2 hours (40 km) we arrived in ergs, so sacred I declare that just as one my friend had written to me once, that the dune Lhabidia is 120m high so even according my travelpartner may even be only 90 meters and not 300 meters high dune as even the locals there says.

Otherwise, the size of Erg Chigaga is about the same size as Erg Chebbi, 30 km long and 10-15 km wide. Erg Chebbi is a bit narrower (10km), but then higher, long also 30 km.

There are only campsites, no hotels, they are either only in M'Hamid or Zagora.

It was there just FINE but Erg Chebbi I like more.

Zagora is even greater than 5 years ago when I was there last time and how I enjoyed 10 years ago, so now I do not like it at all.

But I am happy to be there anyway, it is a new experience. It is quite different from Erg Chebbi, especially so the height of the dunes. Hamada is there more than in Erg Chebbi, but not so much in any case.

We saw there also poor dead camel, or rather the skeleton of him.

So I graduated Erg Chiggaga, but I have to say that the Erg Chebbi I like more.

1. Re: My trip to Erg Chigaga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 17, 2011
Get answers to your questions about M'Hamid
More M'Hamid Topics