We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camel trekking in the Sahara

Which M'Hamid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
reviews: 4
Camel trekking in the Sahara

I have just returned from a camel trek in the Sahara. I've been before to Merzouga but this time around I only had 10 days holiday and Merzouga was too far.

So we went to M'hammid instead. It's a long drive from Marrakech - about 10 hours but we hired a cheap car and the journey through the Atlas along the Tiz n Tichka pass is simply amazing and well worth doing just for itself. It really does take your breath away.

Because we did not have long we could waste no time hunting around for a good deal on camel treks from M'hammid. We were recommended to use Sahara Services and I must say they were fantastic. We arrived late, it was dark, we were tired and a bit worried lest anything untoward had happened with our booking. But we needn't have worried. They were waiting for us and took us to our hotel room in their hotel. The rooms were great, we had super food, there were no language barriers and the next day our camels were bought to the hotel for us to set off on our trek. Everything worked like clockwork, very unusual for Morocco.

At the end of our camel ride, which was amazing, especially because it rained cats and dogs. We were met in a 4x4 with another support vehicle and we zoomed off further into the desert to our camp spot.

If you have never been to the Sahara - Go. It is the nearest thing to an other worldly experience I have ever had. The sand blown by the wind into huge billows against the setting sun made me think of Mars, certainly another planet.

We had an experience of a life time and our hosts were fantastic, we never felt unsafe, were well fed, watered and cared for.

I'm going again in September with more friends, I just want to share it with them.

Copenhagen, Denmark
1. Re: Camel trekking in the Sahara

Hey.

We are going to M'hamid with a tour with a travel agency and we are only staying 4-5 ours. Can anybody recommend what kind of tour out in the desert we should take? I believe that we can't reach Erg Chigaga in 4-5 ours (of course not). But is there another place, which about the same high standard as Erg Chigaga and which can be reach in 4-5 ours (out and back to M'hamid)?

Rune, Denmark

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 41
2. Re: Camel trekking in the Sahara

Hi Rune,

you would not take some travel agency, you can go alone. You can rent a car, go self it is more nice and better. I did so every time we were in Morocco, I am from Sweden and it was no problem even to go to Erg Chebbi there I like it more than Erg Chigaga because Erg Chigaga if you will stay there 4-5 hour you never come to the desert, only on the age of that. M´Hamid is in begin but if you wish more of sand dunes it take there and back more than 4-5 hours.

If you go alone you can see much more of that.

Bali, Indonesia
3. Re: Camel trekking in the Sahara

I would rather advise to give it up, 4h is not enough to see the truth of the Sahara and its wanders, you may focus on day trip to Essaouira and enjoy an afternoon near the beach.

save the sahara for an other time, it just worth more than 4h...

4. Re: Camel trekking in the Sahara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:36 am, March 08, 2011
Get answers to your questions about M'Hamid
More M'Hamid Topics