We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salzburg to Hallstatt - back through Bad Ischl

Which Bad Ischl hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Troy
reviews: 118
Salzburg to Hallstatt - back through Bad Ischl

My husband and I will be in Salzburg for 3 days and are wondering if we should take a road trip [we'll have a rental car] from Salzburg to Hallstatt and then back to Salzburg through Bad Ischl? Both look like lovely places to see. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 47
1. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt - back through Bad Ischl

It's a very nice drive along Lake Wolfgang down to Bad Ischl then onto Hallstatt.

I am biased towards Bad Ischl of course.

If you can on the way back stop in Bad Ischl and take a look at the park and theatre house and other lovely buildings.

And I have to 100% recomend a visit to Zauners on the esplande for Kaiserschmarrn or a cake.

http://www.zauner.at/

If you get to Hallstatt and the weather is poor carry onto Obertraun and the cable car station. Go up one cable car and visit the ice cave. (Wear good footwear and take a fleece)

Troy
2. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt - back through Bad Ischl

Actually, we're thinking of driving from Salzburg to Hallstatt first, then driving through Bad Ischl and Sankt Wolfgang on the way back to Salzburg. Thanks so much for your reply!

Colorado Springs...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt - back through Bad Ischl

Either way is fine, although I usually recommend the Salzburg - Hallstatt - Bad Ischl, etc. route. Bad Ischl has some great cafes, just right for the afternoon Kaffee und Kuchen (coffee and pastry) stiop.

Troy
4. Re: Salzburg to Hallstatt - back through Bad Ischl

It seems like our decision is now made! This sounds like a more interesting road trip from Salzburg than going to Berchtesgaden. From what I've read, unless you spend a pretty penny on a long guided tour, you don't end up seeing much but the view from the top. This road trip will show us more of upper Austria. Thanks for all of your help.

Reply to: Salzburg to Hallstatt - back through Bad Ischl
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bad Ischl