We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macau nightlife

Which Macau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Macau nightlife

My GF and I are spending a weekend in Macau. And are curious about nighttime entertainment options. Is taboo show any good and what night clubs are there besides cubic or Bellini lounge. We are staying at the Venetian..thanks for the information

11 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 41
1. Re: Macau nightlife

There are four Western style nightlife venues in Macau that are music/clubbing. Three of the four are reviewed here under Nightlife in the attractions section. Lion's Bar at The MGM is missing but a review is pending.

If with a partner you will probably rule out Divino.

If staying in Taipa then Cubic is much the most convenient.

For a romantic evening not involving loud music there are excellent options at Sky21 (AIA Tower), The Altira and Vida Rica at The Mandarin Oriental.

For a more Chinese take on entertainment The Grand Emperor or Playmates at The Guia Hotel.

Check on deltabridges for regular "Pop Up" events.

My advice would be dusk at Sky21 for the view at Happy Hour - leisurely dinner in Macau. catch the first set at Lion's Bar (approx. 10.30 to midnight) and then go over to Cubic.

If you still have energy you can leave Cubic as it closes and taxi over to the infamous D2 where the hookers if not the party will still be going strong. LOL

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 3,124
2. Re: Macau nightlife

carbine,

Have you requested Lion Club at MGM to be listed on TA? If not, just let me know and I'll send a request for it.

Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: Macau nightlife

Submitted last weekend - sometimes the curation of TA needs moving up a notch or two for new venues. Slightly surprised it wasn't already listed - I notice Manila has a lot of blanks and Singapore may need some updating.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 3,124
4. Re: Macau nightlife

TA altered the new listing submission a few months back. It was a quite problematic during early release but is better now. Recent submissions for new listings in Macau have taken 2-3 weeks to go through on average.

If you submitted a review along with the listing, it might get approved more quickly. Thanks for helping to update the missing business listings.

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: Macau nightlife

Sent a review with the listing last Saturday . 2 to 3 weeks is too slow. TA needs to invest in some editorial staff.

Singapore, Singapore
6. Re: Macau nightlife

For completeness I should add D3 at Fisherman's Wharf. It is the sister of D2 but it is really a local Chinese hangout. It should really be included in the Nightlife listings for Chinese visitors. Also there is a rather limp bar street with 2 venues that can get lively when there is a major event such as Grand Prix in town. MP3 is a bar that is noted for its pole dancing shows. I find Divino bawdy but fun people watching. MP3 is in my opinion bordering on seedy. Next door is Moonwalker. Moonwalker is quite a large long bar that opens completely on to the street. A small stage usually has a live band/singers and a DJ. It was recently renovated and is quite glitzy with a wall of TV's. Not a bad place to watch live sport but unless you take your atmosphere with you it is rarely very lively. The rest of the street is pretty ordinary with venues changing ownership and name with monotonous regularity.

Singapore, Singapore
7. Re: Macau nightlife

OK The Lion's Bar at The MGM review is now in the Nightlife section.

I notice a new review for Cubic which I think is a bit unfair. So a final input for now on when is likely to be lively in Macau clubs.

The Cubic review suggests the club was dead on a Wednesday night - even though it was Ladies Night.

Most people who go to clubs want to be in a crowd/party atmosphere. Here are a couple of pointers.

Firstly Macau has a visitor ratio that is about 80%+ mainland Chinese. As a general rule the Chinese don't dance. And if they go into clubs they go with a fairly large group and pre-reserve tables where they drink expensive drinks. So if in Macau during Chinese holiday periods, when the ratio is even higher, expect very little dance floor action, lots of smoke and a lot of noise from the prime tables.

On the other hand during Grand Prix and when major conventions that attract Westerners are taking place in Macau (Poker, boxing, concerts) and Hong Kong (Rugby 7's and Fairs). Accordingly at these times Macau gets thronged with Caucasian males - on the prowl. The transient hooker population increases proprtionately. It can be amusing people watching but if you are young and looking for a party I'd stay away.

There is a wild card, and that is Hong Kong Stag Parties. These are usually large groups of wealthy upscale Brits. Early in the night they can create a good party atmosphere,..... but they are best avoided by the time they get to D2 in the late early hours.

Finally there is the indigenous clubbing population. This is largely made up of students - often Portuguese, and leisure industry workers going out after their shift has finished - that means late and usually once a week on the night before their off day.

Accordingly Friday and - Particularly Saturday are the busy nights. But nowhere gets busy much before 2am. Sunday night can also be lively because many leisure industry and shop staff get Monday off.

So Friday and definitely Saturday are a party. But maybe not before 2am

Sunday can be lively but no certainty.

Wednesday at D2 is often busy - it attracts a lot of local female domestic and menial workers due to the free drinks.

Monday is invariably totally dead. Tuesday and Thursday are quiet and Taipa (Cubic) is unlikely to be busy on a Wednesday unless there is a reason for a lot of Westerners to be there.

In summary Macau nightlife is down to the luck of the draw. But if you don't follow the above timings and are looking for a crowd you will likely be disappointed. As an example I came across 2 cool Western guys coming out of D2 at 12.30 on a Friday. They said what is wrong with Macau. We heard D2 was lively. We have been here 2 nights running and the club is dead. I said you are 2 hours to early - but in the state they were already in they would have struggled to make it 1am. By 2am the place was heaving.

Singapore, Singapore
8. Re: Macau nightlife

NOTE D2 Club moves location to Fishermans Wharf on Monday June 9.

Macau Fisherman's Wharf , Edf. New Orlens III, Macao, China

Best place for info is on their Facebook page.

https:/…416793098458022

Singapore, Singapore
9. Re: Macau nightlife

Another update

The local press reported this week that The MGM is reviewing the future and/or location of Lion's Bar at The MGM. It appears they want to turn the area in to retail space. The statement said that they felt the local demand for Nightlife was for drinking in small clubs with friends and that Lion's Bar did not fulfil the local market requirement.

No date for closure or relocation was given but do check before heading to The MGM if Lion's Bar is your target.

I have added an updated review of D2 at its new location. It is in The Nightlife section of Attractions. Also a review of Bellini at The Venetian which is in the Restaurant section, but as discussed with one of The Mods is subject of a request to TA to move it to Nightlife which would be more appropriate.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 23
10. Re: Macau nightlife

A couple of nights ago around 2am, I stopped by Lion's Bar at MGM and the place was practically empty. No one in-sight except a bartender. It's really too bad, cuz Lion's Bar is one of the nicer night spot in Macau. It seems so hard to sell entertainment in Macau, looks like most people just come to gamble. It wouldn't surprise me if they turn the spot into more Baccarat tables.

Speaking of MGM, they have increased their dinner buffet price from 288MOP to 388MOP. Same increase at Wynn's Cafe Esplanada. Buffet at Lisboa is still 208MOP, but no premium selections like lobsters, seafood, or gourmet dishes.

Reply to: Macau nightlife
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted