We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry or Fly, Tokyo -> Macau

Which Macau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 43
Ferry or Fly, Tokyo -> Macau

Hello,

My partner and I are planning on leaving Tokyo to go to Macau. I have seen a 4hr direct flight for about $550 per person to Macau. Is it easier/cheaper to do this or better to fly into Hong Kong then catch the boat across to Macau?

Thank you

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
1. Re: Ferry or Fly, Tokyo -> Macau

Have you checked the price for flying to HK?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 3,396
2. Re: Ferry or Fly, Tokyo -> Macau

Most likely will find a lot more flights between Tokyo and Hong Kong, potentially making this a better way to go, lower cost and flexible departure times due to more flights. You can check the ITA software website - a popular flight search engine to see what is available for both routes. Here is the link to that sight.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Ferry journey from HK to Macau is very simple and straightforward but ferry's only run from 10am to 10pm so very late night arrivals in HK will require you to go into the city and use our 24 hour ferry terminal in Sheung Wan (HK Island). See Top Question 'HKIA to Macau' and 'HK to Macau - Transport' for information related to using the ferry service between HK and Macau if your friend ends up booking flight to HK.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
3. Re: Ferry or Fly, Tokyo -> Macau

Hi GJtravels12, and for you to take into account in your decision making of whether to fly direct into Macau or into Hong Kong then ferry to Macau.

Here is a quick reference:-

say your flight schedule arrival into Hong Kong allows you to take the ferry from HK airport(SKypier) to Macau- the single journey fare is HKD233(economy class).

then if flight schedule arrival does not dovetail into any of the ferry departures from Skypier, then you have to incur transport costs from the airport to ferry terminal.

We take the least expensive option:-

Cityflyer A11 from HK to Shun Tak Centre(in Sheung Wan) : HKD40.00

(Shun Tak centre is the HK Macau Ferry terminal to take either Turbojet or Cotai Jet into Macau).

Then a single journey ferry fare (economy- w/day:daytime):- HKD151.00 (it is HKD163 for day sailing on w/ends and PHs ; and HKD185 for night w/day,w/end and PHs).

So those are cost elements,and though taking from HKIA Skypier you skip the CIQ process in HK.

As such, it is AUD550/pax direct to MFM or AUD??/pax to HKG + Skypier ferry (or bus + ferry from Shun Tak- and in this case you need to factor in time element for CIQ at HKIA).

Only if taking Skypier ferry from HKIA to Macau,you skip CIQ at HKIA.

Brisbane, Australia
4. Re: Ferry or Fly, Tokyo -> Macau

Hi thank you for your responses. Unfortunately I am now somewhat more confused - particularly by that last response. I think I need to get my head around all the different ferry terminal names etc etc. The flight from Tokyo is $550 AUD so works out cheaper than flying to Hong Kong and then catching a ferry I have discovered. Apparently also much simpler as only one set of immigration etc. hopefully I'm getting the right information in my research. Just seems so much simpler to cut out the middle man (Hong Kong) and fly straight into Macau - or have I missed something???

Brisbane, Australia
5. Re: Ferry or Fly, Tokyo -> Macau

Flights from Tokyo to Hong Kong are about $2000!!! Wow! So Tokyo direct to Macau for $550 seems to be a far better option at this point.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 45
6. Re: Ferry or Fly, Tokyo -> Macau

I have the same dilema whenever I go to Macau from Kuala Lumpur. Airasia flies direct from KUL to Macau. Malaysia Airlines and Cathay flies to HKG.

I have found that routing through HKG adds approx 2-4 hours to the journey, depending on when the flight arrives in HKG and when the Macau ferry departs.

The flights to Macau are usually budget airlines, so less comfort.

I route through HKG when I redeem miles to travel business class, or when I want to stop by Hong Kong to visit friends, or when the Macau fares are almost as more expensive that the Hong Kong fares.

Else I save the time and fly Macau direct.

Delays when you take the ferry include waiting for the next departure, macau immigration, and macau baggage claim, which can be notoriously slow. i once waited 45mins for my bag, and I was not the last.

Brisbane, Australia
7. Re: Ferry or Fly, Tokyo -> Macau

I have found a flight on webjet with Air Macau from Tokyo to Macau. I am nervous to book - would this be something sinister? I would hate to arrive and the flight not be legitimate etc. has anyone ever flown air Macau? I am only concerned because when I go on the Air Macau flight it does not show up as an option.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
8. Re: Ferry or Fly, Tokyo -> Macau

Hi GJtravels12, great. Yep, those different ferry terminals (HKIA Skypier, Hk Macau Ferry terminal, Macau Outer Harbour Terminal,and wait, there are Taipa ferry terminal,and HK China Ferry terminal) can be somewhat confusing.

Definitely in terms of cost and time effectiveness: AUD550 vs. about AUD2000.

As TA member @ maic shared his personal experience,as I also have similar dilemma when flying back to HK from KL. I guess another factor is landing fees difference at HKG and MFM.

All in all, you have a pleasant journey with your partner and with that savings, having a nice meal in many of Macau restaurants- Robuchon au Dome in Grand Lisboa that immediately comes to my mind..up in the dome of this hotel with spectacular views of Macau skyline.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Ferry or Fly, Tokyo -> Macau

Hi again Re your post #7 - yep had flown on Air Macau...but not on their flight route to Japan.

Not sure what dates you keyed in webjet. Recheck on AirMacau's website for their flight (NRT-MFM) schedules.

On my many flight software, it shows there are daily flights from NRT to MFM on flight NX861, departing NRT at 1600hrs, arriving into MFM at 1950hrs. (Note:- some “fortress hubs” have limited flights option on other airlines or if shown, requires another cross referencing).

Brisbane, Australia
10. Re: Ferry or Fly, Tokyo -> Macau

Hi mkiaratravel, thank you do much for your advice about the restaurants. I hadn't seen anything about this restaurant but have ready about the hotel. I am slowly getting things organisms and am now looking at hotels so would love to hear your and other peoples recommendations. The Venetian certainly looks like a bit of fun!! You know a lot about Macau/Hong Kong - do you live there or just an avid traveller?