We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is there a syngogue?

Which Macau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bethesda
reviews: 3
is there a syngogue?

I'm interested in visiting the old syngogue in macau. Where is it? I don't want to attend service, I just want to see what it looks like inside. Thanks.

6 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau Region
reviews: 9
1. Re: is there a syngogue?

As far as I'm aware there is no synagogue in Macau.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
2. Re: is there a syngogue?

Yep, believe there is not a big Jewish community in Macao..though can't be said for a great Ukrainian Jewish background who has brought great investment to Macao and led other investors to have the confidence to come in too.

In a talk that I gave in IFT, I did meet a professor from University of Macao, who is a Jewish,and he tells me he goes over to the synagogue in HK for the most important festivities-the only three that I remembered are Rosh Hashaná, Passover and Sucót.

Through the nice arrangement of this professor, I had the opportunity to visit the synagogue on Robinson Road in HK,and also attended an evening service.

It was a truly nice spiritual experience even at my age.

In fact,one of the members had just got in touch with me regarding an event post this upcoming Passover. An outing for a trail hike,and he told me,all members need it to burn off Pesach calories

Lastly, to put it across.."The cultural aspects excel in a city where there is nowhere to worship, as is the case in Macau"(unquote).

Toronto, Canada
3. Re: is there a syngogue?

Yes, there was a synagogue in Macau, I do not know now (other than the one in Hong Kong)

I know there was a synagogue in Macau from 1967 to 1974.

1967 when I was a kid in Macau, I met a Jewish gentleman( who spoke perfect Cantonese) at a book fair for my stamps collections, he told me that he goes to a Jewish Restaurant on street named Rua da Tercena and behind the restaurant there was a synagogue for him to worship.

The reasons I remembered even after 45 years, because we shared the same first name and had traded stamps, he was very intelligent and very funny guy.

Note: Jewish communities existed all over China for thousands of years, synagogues had set up, clinics, even hospitals. As time goes by people moved to somewhere else.

I hope this help.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau Region
reviews: 9
4. Re: is there a syngogue?

Thankyou for that historical snippet, Charles; I will certainly go down and have a look next time I am there - although unless the building which held the restaurant has particular historical value it will probably have been redeveloped by now.

Toronto, Canada
5. Re: is there a syngogue?

Hey, Happy New Year, in this part of the world Toronto Canada is still the first day of 2013.

I am sad if the building has been redeveloped, I think from now on, people should speak out and have building like that registered and preserved. It certainly has historical value to me and to the government as well.

In Shanghai, you will see a lot of historical buildings which were result of Jewish architectural marvel.

These buildings are registered and preserved, that’s one of the reasons why Shanghai is so famous for.

Go see them when you get a chance.

6. Re: is there a syngogue?

I went to that street today and asked two of the shop owners but nobody knew about it (one of them has lived there for 40 to 50 years). Do you remember the location and do you know why the synagogue only existed until 1974?

By the way, were those two coconut shops already there back then?

Reply to: is there a syngogue?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted