We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch time meals

Which Puerto de Mogan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cheshire
reviews: 25
Lunch time meals

Hi ,

I have now booked the Cordial Mogan Playa on a half board basis so i am now looking for a good value for money cafe / bar where i can get a simple lunch.

I have looked on the forum and cant find any where that recommends such a place.

Also it would be nice if i could get some prices / menu of things.

Apart from do it yourself at the supermarket i am struggling to find any info

thanks

ian

UK
reviews: 107
1. Re: Lunch time meals

I can thoroughly recommend El Jamonal de Mogán. It is situated just at the town's main square and delivers the best tapas platter of Spanish cold meats, local cheeses and delicious crusty bread. It also sells filled rolls. There are a few outside tables.

Enjoy!

cheshire
2. Re: Lunch time meals

Thank you

I will have a look at when we go.

Northern Ireland
3. Re: Lunch time meals

Hi Ian, I spend the winter each year in Mogan, and personally I think the best cafe in Mogan for good honest food at lunchtime is the Irish Tavern. It's just down at the harbour, pretty short (and beautiful) stroll from the Playa, and the staff are great. It's the only place I've found that serves a great mug of decent tea in Spain. There's a comprehensive English/Irish breakfast served until late for 5.50 euros (eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, black and white pudding, tomato, toast and jams etc.) and a good selection of lunch favourites - good quality (and huge) burgers, nice homemade lasagne, cod chips and salad, chicken and chips, etc. All hot and very tasty and about 7-8 euro. Omelettes, salads, toasties, sandwiches, baguettes also available.

It's a small cafe with a lovely view of the harbour, but the entire area gets very busy at lunchtime, especially on Friday (market day) so be prepared to grab a table as soon as one's free.

If you're looking for authentic tapas as a light lunch, a lot of people really enjoy the reasonably priced selection at a little English-owned cafe called La Tabona - it's not situated at the front of the harbour, it's just off the main street in the old square where there's a religious grotto and some benches - just past the beach. There's also a nice little Spanish tapas place near the pharmacy on the other side of the street in the tiled precinct area near the bronze statue.

You're really spoiled for options, there''s so many and so much competition, but if you value a decent cuppa and quality fare, I think the Irish Tavern is hard to beat. You may also like the closest option to the hotel - just a little way down the avenida on your way to the beach you'll pass a tiny Spanish cafe on the corner with chairs outside and a big rotisserie machine roasting chickens each day. Half a roast chicken, chips and salad is 5 euros. Going in the other direction, if you're walking up the avenida to do your shopping at the Hiperdino supermarket, there's a little outdoor snack bar just next to the 'dino that serves light lunches and really gorgeous ice creams, sundaes, banana splits and the like. Alternatively, you can always get a bag of freshly baked croissants from the Hiperdino, a takeaway rotisserie chicken from the cafe or some cold meats and cheese from the supermarket and have your own picnic. Depending how much you eat at the very generous Playa breakfasts, you may not be able to face too big a lunch!

Hope you have a lovely time. The weather's beautiful right now. Best wishes, Isla.

Edited: 2:41 am, January 09, 2013
cheshire
4. Re: Lunch time meals

Hi Isla,

Thanks for the information .

Its nice to know that i can buy something reasonably cheap for lunch..

Its my first time in Gran Canaria as i normally go to to Turkey , but i fancied a change this year.

ian

London, United...
reviews: 27
5. Re: Lunch time meals

Hi Ian

Another suggestion is La Bruschetta on the beachfront. An Italian that does huge Bruschettas as starters - a real meal in itself for between 5 and 7 euros each depending on which one you choose.

Tapas Tapas also does things like omelette, salad and chips for 5.5 euros.

Loads down on the beach do offers such as sardines and salad for 6 euros and these are chalked up outside.

It's a place where you can spend a lot on a meal if you choose to do so or eat out far more economically as well.

finland
reviews: 7
6. Re: Lunch time meals

Thank you for these replies! (and of course Cheshire for the question) I really enjoyed reading them all. Have to write down the names of the places you mentioned, since I have only booked breakfast from our hotel.

- midsummer

Aalesund, Norway
reviews: 24
7. Re: Lunch time meals

I will recommend Bar/Restaurante Mogan Mar, on the end of the beach front. Cheap food, great service, free wifi and a wonderful view.

Have a look at TA reviews:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g664857-…

Mogan, Spain
8. Re: Lunch time meals

I recommend La Factoria, at the end of the beach by the bridge going over to the town square.

Boccadillos filled with most fillings 2 euros each, A canarian owned place, and the owner is the chef himself.

He has brought welcome changes to the beach and port area where as his prices are the same as you would pay inland on the island. With sometimes better quality than more expensive food in resort areas here.

I always say, find out where the Canarians eat and you will then know the food is good there.

9. Re: Lunch time meals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 24, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Puerto de Mogan
More Puerto de Mogan Topics