We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seasickness prone...

Which Gili Air hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
reviews: 22
seasickness prone...

I Yes Mal de mer is a big issue for me...I

had a hellish return trip on the Mabuway Express many years ago after a calm crossing on the Padangbai slow boat...thinking I will fly , then get taxi and cross on local boat to Gili Air next July...strangely the oldfashioned ferry boats which are being phased out are the most stable and i never get sick on them???

Any idea where i can find a stable ,slow displacement (thats the kind i need apparently) boat from Lombok to Gili Air please?

Many thanks

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
reviews: 25
1. Re: seasickness prone...

The old fashion ferry boats are certainly not being phased out. They are actually barges and are the only meansfor transporting food, fuel, and every thing else from one island to another. Th ed y are loaded with trucks. It is also the primary means of ttransport for indonesians between islands.

the only type of boat to gili air from lombok is a small boat. Either a local ferry or speed boat

Canberra, Australia
reviews: 22
2. Re: seasickness prone...

ok so i can get a ferry /barge style then wonderful ...where and when would be great info?

thanks

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
reviews: 25
3. Re: seasickness prone...

The ferry / barge runs from Padang Bai on Bali to Lembar Harbour on Lombok, they leave every hour, day and night. From Lembar you have to then get transport to Bangsal harbour about 2 hrs away and cross by local ferry which is a smallish boat local style that takes about 40 people (and maybe a few chickens)

you can book the trip all the way through with some transport companies in Bali, I think Perama is one

4. Re: seasickness prone...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Gili Air