We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perth to Gili Trawangan

Which Gili Trawangan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth to Gili Trawangan

Hey all,

I live in Perth, love diving and I've heard the diving around Gili Trawangan is awesome so I'm looking at planning a trip there around the end of July. Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on ways of getting there, the quickest way would be preferred but I'm also keen to hear of other options as well. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Cheers

Lombok
Destination Expert
for Lombok
reviews: 31
1. Re: Perth to Gili Trawangan

Yesterday I read that Jest Star and Tiger Airways are introducing flights Perth - Lombok from July. I will make a new post with the google translation of the article. Hopefully the flights will commence before your travel dates!

2. Re: Perth to Gili Trawangan

Yeah sweet. I have just found and read the post now which sounds good but the flights are only going to be 3 times a week so do you know if it would be better to fly Denpasar to Lombok then get a boat from there or just go to Denpasar and get a fast boat?

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
reviews: 25
3. Re: Perth to Gili Trawangan

Currently the best way to get there directly, as in doing it in one day, is to get a flight out of Perth to Bali, on arrival walk down to domestic and jump on a plane over to Lombok, then get transport to the harbour and boat across to Gili Trawangan.

If you want to do it in a day, it is do-able this way.

I generally fly out on an early flight to get to Bali before 9am and then have a few options for a connecting flight.

Just on the diving - it is ok around Gili T but I wouldn't describe it as awesome - it depends on what your experience is. If you've dived Ningaloo or even the GBR you may be a little disappointed. There are better dive spots off Lombok than Gili T. It really is a place that suits backpackers wanting a dive experience who have nothing much to compare it to. Check out Dive Zone in Sekotong for some serious diving.

4. Re: Perth to Gili Trawangan

Cool cheers for the info. Is Lombok very busy? Just asking because I would like to do my dive master. I did my open water and advanced in Koh Tao in Thailand which was really good, there were heaps of people and the diving was amazing mind you it was my first time diving so I have nothing else to compare it to. So I'm looking for something similar with lots of people and good diving but shorter travel time because Ill only have a week each time I go which is why I chose Bali but if there's anywhere else that's reasonable quick to get to I'd be happy to hear about it. Cheers

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
reviews: 25
5. Re: Perth to Gili Trawangan

If you are looking at doing a professional cert (dive master) you really need to research your dive operators and choose based on that. Lombok is not as frantic as Bali - Gili Trawangan is very busy over the high season of June through August, and has a pretty good stream of visitors all year around. Lombok has a much more laid back feel than the tourist areas of Bali.

Denpasar
6. Re: Perth to Gili Trawangan

I read that the fastest way to get there is by fast boat. It take 2 hours or more from Bali and we will stop on Gili Trawangan harbor if take boat. A friend of mine recommend me to book through agent.

reviews: 3
7. Re: Perth to Gili Trawangan

If you want to see good coral I suggest you dive somewhere else. The coral around the Gilis is 99.99% dead following the bleaching event in 2010. I was there last week snorkelling aroung Gili Trawangan, G. Meno and G. Ayer and it was very sad to see only one or two tiny patches of colour amongst acres of bleached greyness.

8. Re: Perth to Gili Trawangan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:59 pm, June 04, 2013
9. Re: Perth to Gili Trawangan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 04, 2014