We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire and general tips

Which Agios Georgios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derbyshire, England
reviews: 12
car hire and general tips

We have just booked to stay at the Costas Golden Beach in May - our first time in Corfu. We would like to hire a car so any recommendations please. Any other tips would be welcome. I am hoping to find some wild flowers, especially orchids.

Thank you

manchester
reviews: 42
1. Re: car hire and general tips

Hi Carolyn, you will love 'Costas Golden Beach' the family are so friendly and helpful and also serve lovely food. Air conditioning is free and you are also able to fill up your water bottles free of charge. If you have not already looked then read the reviews here on trip advisor.

If memory serves me right then there is only one car hire company based in AG, it is just a few minutes stroll from the hotel and the hotel owners will give you the directions.

The walk to the quaint village of Afonias is lovely but quite steep or you could drive there in your car, also if you do like walking[sturdy footwear required) then a nice place to visit are the twin bays of Porto Timoni [ google images to take a look), a really beautiful spot, before you make your way down to the bays there are two lovely taverna's where you can enjoy a cold drink/lunch, I think that you can get a map from the hotel or they will print one out for you. I remember seeing some lovely wild flowers on the way to the twin bays so I am sure that you will come accross some.

If you need any more info then please ask away.

2. Re: car hire and general tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:06 am, February 21, 2013
Edited: 8:06 am, February 21, 2013
3. Re: car hire and general tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:06 am, February 21, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Corfu
reviews: 6
4. Re: car hire and general tips

For local car hire in Agios Georgios... http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/carhire.htm

For reliable & well priced airport transfers... http://www.corfuholidaytaxi.com/

manchester
5. Re: car hire and general tips

Hi arillas, the Belle Helene car rental is the one that I was thinking of and it is right next door to where carolyn is staying.

England
reviews: 2
6. Re: car hire and general tips

Carolyn, Your question about car hire seems to have been answered. There are actually 3 companies situated in Agios Georgios the nearest being the Belle Helene Hotel just next door (round the corner) to your hotel. If none of those can help you there are companies in nearby resorts which will deliver to the hotel as well.

May is a lovely time for wild flowers especially the 1st half as sometimes a dry Spring can finish most orchids a bit early.

Go to ... http://www.agiosgeorgios.co.uk/flowers.htm for more information and photos of some May flowers taken around Agios Georgios. If you send an email from that web-site you can obtain information where you might find some orchids.

Derbyshire, England
reviews: 12
7. Re: car hire and general tips

Many thanks to all for your help, info and links. I am really looking forward to my first visit to Corfu, especially now I have looked at all the photos of the wonderful scenery and wild flowers.

Thanks again.

manchester
8. Re: car hire and general tips

Glad we have been of help to you. Also worth a visit is a village called 'pagi' which is above Agios georgios', we have walked there (quite steep on way up)and it takes about 30-40 mins depending on how fast you walk, the other time we visited we used a quad bike. There is a lovely bakery but you need to get there in the morning otherwise everything is sold out. Whilst there visit ' Jimmys' cafe/taverna', the wine,drinks and food is very inexpensive but very,very good ( it is where they filmed one of the James Bond movies). Pagi will be on a local map or the owners of your hotel can point you in the right direction. i am sure that you will have a great holiday.

England
reviews: 2
9. Re: car hire and general tips

Yes Pagi village is always on my recommendations. If the uphill walk to Pagi puts you off, (like us) you can catch the local bus outside your hotel at about 10.15 weekdays and get off in the centre of Pagi.

After visiting Jimmy's or Romeos opposite the walk back is all downhill and easy. Alternatively walk back (a bit longer) using our favourite Walk 4 on the web-site quoted above for a really lovely walk through quiet hidden countryside !! It is great route for wild flowers, butterflies, lizards, and birds including Nightingales and Golden Orioles. We ask Jimmy for a toasted sandwich or two, and enjoy a picnic in the valley.

PS, if Jimmy's drinks are now very expensive then they have changed as previously his beer was 50% of the prices at the beach!

manchester
10. Re: car hire and general tips

We paid 90 cents for a glass of wine at Jimmys in 2010, maybe a slight increase now? very nice too. Oh yes, i remember walk four well, unfortunately we took the wrong turning and got lost for 2 hours in the olive groves in the hot heat of the day until eventually I could hear traffic and headed towards the traffic noise, scrambled over a wall onto the road, we must have looked a frightful sight, a lovely Greek couple passing by in a car stopped and took us back down to AG, where we literally fell into the nearest taverna and drank about 2 pints of water each then rounded it off with a lovely meal and plenty of wine, happy memories and we have learnt from our mistake, still we look back now at our memories.