We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM machines

Which Skala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
reviews: 37
ATM machines

Will I have a problem finding an ATM machine in Skala, Kefalonia, does anyone know please?

Cheers

Cephalonia, Greece
reviews: 14
11. Re: ATM machines

Golden rule is pay by cash if possible, as Bob says. The tavernas and mini markets are trying hard to keep their prices down, even in the face of increases in food costs, so if we can help by paying cash and avoiding a 2 to 3%t card charge imposed on them, they will really appreciate it. It's cheaper for us too to pay in cash rather than with a UK Sterling debit or credit card. You will get an official till receipt, it's not a tax dodge.

I usually take money out with me on a CaxtonFX Euro Visa Debit card, so I don't get charged at the ATMs when withdrawing cash on it. It's the modern way of carrying travellers cheques and works very well. I could use it as a straight debit card in tavernas, but for the reasons above, I try to draw cash on it and use that instead.

Every little helps ;)

Athens, Greece
12. Re: ATM machines

Yes, I totally agree with caroline! I was lucky today - I withdrew cash from the ATM machine in a hospital where I was having some tests and it all came out in 20 euro notes! That's very unusual, but so much more acceptable in shops! There's usually a fixed fee for withdrawals, so It's best always to take the maximum you can get, unless it's the last day of your holiday and you don't want to have a lot of spare euros!

Sheffield, United...
13. Re: ATM machines

In reply to your enquiry yes there are 3 ATMs in Scala, yes you will be able to use visa debit via the machines, and yes, you will be able to use your debit card where there's a VISA sign. Quite a few of the restaurants display the sign and therefore will accept your card. There will be charges applied by your bank and visa for conversion of currency and use abroad, to your bank account.

Hope this helps

chatham uk
reviews: 23
14. Re: ATM machines

While we were there in June the ATM at the bottom of the high st ran out of cash more than once, so tended to use the one in side street near bakers

Coventry
reviews: 16
15. Re: ATM machines

I know there are ATMs in Fiscardo but are there any in the outlying areas - we are staying in Chalikeri.

East Anglia
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
reviews: 51
16. Re: ATM machines

Hi DBF7,

See my reply on your other posting. I would just add that many UK banks make two charges when using an ATM abroad. A fixed sum (say £2.75) plua a percentage so it makes sense to draw out as infrequently as possible.

Bob

Sheffield, United...
17. Re: ATM machines

Sorry don't know about ATM's in the resort you mention

Athens, Greece
18. Re: ATM machines

My Halifax bank in the UK charges only £1.50 for withdrawals; there's no additional charge. The maximum I can get each time is only £300, though - about 360 euro. As I live here, that doesn't actually go very far, but I think its a good option for visitors. It depends on your bank, of course.

19. Re: ATM machines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Skala
Recent Conversations