We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City bus service?

Which Caldas da Rainha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Platte, South Dakota
reviews: 1
City bus service?

Going to Caldas Da Rainha first week in Sept and wondering if anyone knows anything abt the city bus service there and how is it to navigate when one doesnt know Portuguese?

4 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
1. Re: City bus service?

Caldas da Rainha is a medium sized town rather than a city.

There is no city bus service as such. The local bus operator is Rodotejo

www.rodotejo.pt

Their website is only in Portuguese. You can access a list of all the timetables (http://www.rodotejo.pt/horarios/gethorarios) or do a search for times from place A to place B. If you do the latter, make sure you click on Mais Informacoes to get the complete list of departures.

The fast buses to/from Lisbon are listed under 'Rapidas'.

Be aware that there are very few buses in evenings and at weekends.

The long distance bus network of Rede Expressos (www.rede-expressos.pt) also serves Caldas da Rainha.

My suggestion is to pay an early visit to the bus station in the centre of town and confirm the information you need. Many Portuguese people speak English but it is polite to ask first!

I hope that helps and enjoy your trip.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
2. Re: City bus service?

Sorry there IS a minibus network around town provided by the town council, but I have no details as the link I found goes nowhere.

Brooklyn, NY, USA...
3. Re: City bus service?

Caldas da Rainha IS a city. It's been one since 1927. It may not be huge, but it's a city nonetheless.

The city is small, and most places that visitors will want to see are within walking distance of each other. TOMA, the city's bus service, runs three lines, two of which are loops and the other a back-and-forth line. You can find info at cm-caldas-rainha.pt/portal/… in Portuguese only. Buses run 7:30 am - 7:30 pm weekdays and 8:00 am - 1:30 pm on Saturdays, with no service on Sundays. The time between buses is 30 minutes on each route.

I'll be in Caldas the 3rd & 4th week of August, so we'll just miss each other! :-)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
4. Re: City bus service?

My apologies - I did know Caldas da Rainha had city status! It is certainly a well laid out and interesting place with quite a bit of history that I must read properly.

Reply to: City bus service?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caldas da Rainha
More Caldas da Rainha Topics