We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resorts similar to Iberostar--?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vienna, Virginia
reviews: 6
Resorts similar to Iberostar--?

My husband and I have enjoyed staying in Iberostar Tucan once and IB PDM twice. Now we are thinking about our next trip to MX and would like to experience a new AI resort. We would like to find a new resort that is similar to IB qualities and within similar price range or possibly a little bit more expensive. What AI resorts could be recommended? IB qualities that we are looking for:

-nice beach with no or little areas of rocks (and enough palapas)

-nice resort setting with greenery, etc

-nice rooms in buildings with no more than 3-4 floors

-selection of buffets and regular restaurants with good food

-gym, walking trails, sport classes

Thank you for your help and ideas!

Buffalo, NY
reviews: 8
1. Re: Resorts similar to Iberostar--?

I think the barcelos are like IB's but I haven't been to either.

Vienna, Virginia
2. Re: Resorts similar to Iberostar--?

asmit4, thank you! I will check it.

Any other suggestions?

Buffalo, NY
reviews: 8
3. Re: Resorts similar to Iberostar--?

Palace resorts- I've been to Aventura Spa Palace and we really enjoyed it. I am sure that other palace resorts are roughly the same in terms of quality and food. They all have different pluses to offer.

www.palaceresorts.com

Wakefield, Ma
reviews: 4
4. Re: Resorts similar to Iberostar--?

That's a tough one because to me the Iberostar Tucan and DelMar are at a price that really gives you the best bang for your buck. The Barcelo's get good reviews but are a little bit of a step down from Iberostar except for possibly the Barcelo Maya Palace and they cost almost as much. The Barcelo Palace just opened a couple of weeks ago and is probably rated near the rating of the Lindo/Maya. I'd have to agree that the Moon and Mayan Palace or the Palace Playacer might be an option too. Palace is time shares though so there are benefits but also the time share thing going on. The Sandos is another resort that gets good reviews and is right next to the Tucan (you probably saw it). It is however considered a step down from Iberstar. It usually costs about $100 to $200 less though per person.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
reviews: 5
5. Re: Resorts similar to Iberostar--?

VAO7

You might want to check into the Grand Sirenis. It fits all your criteria except for the beach since there is a coral reef right off shore the beach is somewhat rocky. It compares quite favorably to the IB* I thought. When I was there in September I recognized a lot of staff members from the IB* Paraiso complex so the service is excellent. I found the Grand Sirenis to have amenities similar to the Lindo/Maya for a price that was slightly less than the Beach/Del Mar.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
reviews: 50
6. Re: Resorts similar to Iberostar--?

I would look at the Barcelos. They have a great beach. HUGE resort complex.

Boston, MA
reviews: 5
7. Re: Resorts similar to Iberostar--?

The Mayan Palace is NOT part of the Palace resorts group. The Playacar Palace, Aventura Spa, Moon, Sun, Cancun, Beach, LeBlanc, Isla Mujeras are all part of the Palace resorts ( I may have forgotten some).

Beautiful resorts with high end amenities, great food and included tours. Check out palaceresorts.com

Georgetown, Canada
reviews: 1
8. Re: Resorts similar to Iberostar--?

I've been doing the same thing. We have stayed at both the IB Beach and DelMar and thought of trying something new. I like the Barcelo Tropical or the Sandos Playacar (mostly the location.) Both have good and bad things said about them, but I guess when I first started looking for a family resort near PDC, I took a chance with IB. There are others that are newer, but I haven't gotten that far, yet!! I like the Palace resorts too, however, from here, it can be on the higher side of what we want to spend.

Vienna, Virginia
9. Re: Resorts similar to Iberostar--?

All,

Thank you so much for your suggestions! We will check them.

10. Re: Resorts similar to Iberostar--?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, September 17, 2009