We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Damajaqua Cascades from Bayahibe?

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 10
Best way to get to Damajaqua Cascades from Bayahibe?

Hi we are staying in Bayahibe and would like to see the waterfalls. I understand that is on the other side of the island but not sure how long that takes or the best way to get to and from. It is our first time to the island so any advice is much appreciated!

4 replies to this topic
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
reviews: 6
1. Re: Best way to get to Damajaqua Cascades from Bayahibe?

Where there's a will, there's a way, but I think that this is an outing that I'd not recommend from Bayahibe. It would be a day of travel to get to Puerto Plata and a day back, and the costs would add up. I've done that to go to Santo Domingo, taken a hotel in the capital and made the most of the 36 hours away from Bayahibe, but that was only a 3 hour drive. I'd recommend seeing and doing the things in the Bayahibe area (Saona Island is a must, and maybe a cruise up the Chavon River) while you're there, and then book a trip to the north coast at some point. You can usually find cheaper accommodations there so that might be a motivator too. While staying in Bayahibe, invest your time there and then explore Puerto Plata when staying there.

Kaki

Bayahibe, Dominican...
2. Re: Best way to get to Damajaqua Cascades from Bayahibe?

You need to get to Imber, before Puerto Plata

Best way will be driving but if you not up to it you need to get to Santo Domingo and from there to Imber.

If you are planning to do it in one day you best is by taxi as is 1.5h drive to Santo Domingo and 3.5 to Imber.

If you are planning to stay over night you can go in public transport

nyc
reviews: 7
3. Re: Best way to get to Damajaqua Cascades from Bayahibe?

That ride is long. 1 1/2 hr to the capitol by bus, then transfer for another bus to puerto plata 2+ hrs, then a cab to the waterfalls.

Save it for next time, sounds like an overnite trip, those waterfalls are dangerous so be careful.

Your better off checking out the caves and lagoons thay are closer to bayahibe, even spend a day at the eco reserve over by the new westin, 45 minutes away, or holo azul which is even closer.

Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 10
4. Re: Best way to get to Damajaqua Cascades from Bayahibe?

Thanks for all the input. Seems like a trip for next time!

Reply to: Best way to get to Damajaqua Cascades from Bayahibe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted