We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saona day trip without lobster for lunch

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Yorks
reviews: 18
Saona day trip without lobster for lunch

Hi does anyone know of any day trips to Saona, or a combined Catalina/Saona or Catalinita/Saona day trip that does NOT include lobster for lunch? It's just we have 2 vegetarians and the others in our party do not wish to eat lobster.

We would mainly be snorkeling and playing rounders on the beach.

Thanks in anticipation.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
reviews: 14
1. Re: Saona day trip without lobster for lunch

You can book a private trip and you can arrange food that you like or can eat.

Happy travel

Denise

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
reviews: 6
2. Re: Saona day trip without lobster for lunch

I heard that they have become so endangered that you will be seeing less and less of them. I would contact Seavis Bayahibe and see if they still offer them. They offer such a spread, even if meat is served, there is plenty else offered to satisfy a vegetarian. I haven't time now, but if you search my name and webshots, you will find links to my online photo albums where I have included pictures of their food tables.

Kaki

West Yorks
3. Re: Saona day trip without lobster for lunch

Denise and Kaki, thank you both for your invaluable help! I would like to take this opportunity to say that your combined knowledge on Bayahibe and your dedication to this site is phenomenal! I have been reading posts on this site since January of this year before booking our holiday in April, we are coming to Bayahibe (Dreams) just before Easter next year for my younger daughter's wedding (blessing) and my older daughter's honeymoon! On their request I must add!

I have been browsing the photos on your 2 islands link Kaki, and the food tables look very mouthwatering and I think my vegetarian daughters would be well catered for. However, I am a little concerned about the handling of the marine life, I think my daughters would quite possibly "freak out" if they thought that some of the marine life were being harmed unnecessarily. Do they get put back into the water unscathed?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
reviews: 6
4. Re: Saona day trip without lobster for lunch

I have to say that they may be horrified by some things that might be seen if they arethat sensitive. On my Two Islands tour, fishermen caught that massive lobster in the pictures and a couple who were on the tour purchased it for $30 and it was cooked for them for their lunch. While the rest of us didn't have lobster offered, it was there and the girls might have been upset if they had to see all of that go down. It is by no means the norm and should anybody be hoping to have the opportunity, they would likely be disappointed. There was a "sea cockroach" brought out of the water and returned there by Carlos's very gentle hands. I don't recall anything else being displaced. The pictures of the crab and puffer fish were not outside of the water and the animals were entirely unharmed. You only need to see the care and attention that these guides use in their "Eco-tour" and the attention that Seavis pays to the turtle preservation of Saona Island to know that their treatment of any creature encountered is the most respectful. They impose rules on themselves that most of the other tour groups wouldn't consider and have been granted certain access to the National Park based on their proven consideration and advocacy for the area and its inhabitants.

I would offer no promises on their behalf, but the training and disposition of their guides (and I mean what they bring to the table already, not just what is a job requirement imposed by Seavis) would give them an advantage over some of the the other tours that aren't so ecologically minded.

Kaki

North Pole, New York
reviews: 97
5. Re: Saona day trip without lobster for lunch

We loved the Seavis Saona Special excursion. Buffet on Saona included excellent rice and beans and grilled chicken. We were amazed at how good lunch was!

West Yorks
6. Re: Saona day trip without lobster for lunch

Thanks Kaki for your thoughts and information regarding Seavis Tours, their commitment to the preservation of marine life is good to hear.

Thanks also to crmoores from New York, rice, beans, fresh fruit and salad vegetables (from your photos Kaki) sound perfect for my daughters, and the chicken fits the bill for the rest of my party!

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
reviews: 264
7. Re: Saona day trip without lobster for lunch

After what we had experienced in nature tours in Costa Rica, I was disappointed about treatment of marine wildlife during our Saona tour. The guide picket up the protected sea stars - what was interesting to see - and after everybody had their photo taken with them, they just dropped them and all the passengers of the boat started to party and senselessly throw ron into and around them in some kind of a silly and inauguration ceremony and nobody took care anymore of the endangered species just dropped there. I felt like in the wrong film. This however was not Seavis tours, I think we should have checked better which tour to take.

West Yorks
8. Re: Saona day trip without lobster for lunch

Thanks Engadiner that must have been awful to see, if they carry on like that there will be no more sea stars (or starfish as we call them) left to see in that area! Then their business will suffer. I personally don't think they should combine a "booze cruise" with "nature tourism", they should separate them totally. I will make sure we choose our tour very carefully. When we visit the Nature Pool we will take care not to lift the sea stars right out of the water to get our pictures.

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
reviews: 14
9. Re: Saona day trip without lobster for lunch

Some of the companies offer lobsters for lunch even during the period between March 1 and June 30 when catching lobsters is banned in Dominican Republic!!! So obviously they do not care about that part of marine life either!

I know you din't want lobsters anyways but I guess more tourists should be aware of that :)

Denise

Bayahibe, Dominican...
10. Re: Saona day trip without lobster for lunch

The thing is that the bast majority of lobster consumed on hotels and excursions do not come form Dominican Republic but from the Bahamas and have other rules.