We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to rent a car in Mykonos?

Which Mykonos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 26
Do I need to rent a car in Mykonos?

Husband and I are staying in Mykonos Town for two nights in late September, so we have one full day on the island and want to explore the southern beaches. The hotel told us that the buses run infrequently during this time of year and that we should rent a car, but everything I've read online says that buses run very regularly to Ornos, Platys Gialos, etc.

According to our hotel, cars are about 50 euros/day, scooters about 8 euros/person/day, and we'd rather just take the bus if they come frequently enough as we're in walking distance to the bus stations (staying at the PortoBello).

So, do we need to rent a car to explore the southern beaches or can we get there just as easily on a scooter or bus in late September?

18 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
reviews: 19
1. Re: Do I need to rent a car in Mykonos?

There will still be bus service to Platis Gialos/Psarou, Paradise, Ornos and Agios Ioannis, so you won't need to rent a car to get them.

Platis Gialos will probably have the most service. From that beach, you can easily walk to four more beaches, including Psarou in one direction, and Agia Anna, Paraga and Paradise in the other. Agios Ioannis and Ornos are on the same bus route. Both are walking distance apart. Kapari beach is a short walk from Agios Ioannis.

And if it turns out the bus service isn't as good as you expect, yes, you can just as easily take a scooter to the beaches. But at the very least you will be able to take a bus to one of the above mentioned beaches and explore up to several others. A taxi ride back to Town is an option if the return bus times aren't convenient.

Edited: 2:41 pm, August 22, 2013
Mykonos, Greece
2. Re: Do I need to rent a car in Mykonos?

Just a clarification, Psarou beach is not reachable by bus, it will drop you off on the main street and you will have to walk down the small narrow street.

San Francisco...
reviews: 26
3. Re: Do I need to rent a car in Mykonos?

Thank you for the feedback! We may end up renting a car just so we can get to the more remote beaches in the north. Our hotel provided prices for a rental car and a quad. Are all quads manual though? We would need an automatic so I'm assuming we need to pay the extra money for the car. Is that correct?

Also does anyone know the average taxi fare from the old port to Mykonos Town (staying at the PortoBello Hotel). We are trying to decide if we'd rent the car from the port upon our arrival, t or only get it the one full day we are in Mykonos, but then we would need a taxi from the port to the hotel, and back to the port.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
4. Re: Do I need to rent a car in Mykonos?

The Old Port is right at Mykonos Town. You should ask the hotel to tell you what it would cost to take a taxi there from the port; they should know or have a good idea of the cost. Should only be a few Euros since it's a very short trip.

I would assume cars with auto transmission cost more to rent since there aren't very many of them, but I have only rented standards so can't say for certain. I have no idea about quads since I have never been on one.

Make sure you get detailed instructions from the hotel explaining how to get to it if you decide to drive there. I have walked past the hotel numerous times -- it's on the steep hillside above town -- but frankly wouldn't know how to reach it if I were driving. I can't think of where the access road to the hotel would be situated.

Have you asked the hotel if it offers a transfer service from the port? Many Mykonos hotels do, often at no charge.

Athens, Greece
reviews: 18
5. Re: Do I need to rent a car in Mykonos?

50 euros per day is too expensive even for Mykonos,I had friends renting a car for 35 euros in peak period August 15th,search around before paying that much.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 6
6. Re: Do I need to rent a car in Mykonos?

My husband and I rented a quad (and we are in our 50s) I preferred (had a car the 2nd week as our daughter joined us) the quad as roads very narrow. We paid 30 Euro a day for top of range in June. This had reverse drive which we needed to get up some of the hills from the beaches. If you are day tripping and , try to eat inland in Ano Mera which connects all roads. There is a village square and I can recommend the Fishermans restaurant.

old bridge,new...
reviews: 44
7. Re: Do I need to rent a car in Mykonos?

Is a quad like an off road vehicle?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
8. Re: Do I need to rent a car in Mykonos?

Yes it is ... a quad is also called an ATV by some people.

old bridge,new...
reviews: 44
9. Re: Do I need to rent a car in Mykonos?

Just wanted to make sure, Thank you

Had a difference in meaning with a funicular when I was looking into my Germany Trip

Can two people fit on one and is that a good way of getting around. Reason I ask is that had I known The Rhine River in Germany was so easy to drive through, I would have rented a car. Instead we took trains.

I dont want to make the mistake again

The Quad seems like a fun way of getting around, but is it a safe way to go. Is the alternative, Ferries?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
10. Re: Do I need to rent a car in Mykonos?

Two adults can ride a quad. They don't have a lot of guts, so they can't go very fast and can struggle on steeps hills (like some that lead down to some of the main beaches on Mykonos, like Super Paradise). Quads can be dangerous vehicles, however, so be cautious whenever driving one. On Mykonos the roads are narrow and locals tend to drive very fast so stay as close to the shoulder as possible so the faster vehicles can get around you.

A ferry is not an alternative for getting around an island. Ferries are used for travel between islands.

However, on Mykonos there is a shuttle boat service (traditional fishing boats, called caiques, that have been converted into water taxis) that operates from Ornos beach and from Platis Gialos beach to other major beaches along the south coast of the island. Local buses also offer service from Mykonos Town to most (but not all) of the same beaches served by the shuttle boats.

Reply to: Do I need to rent a car in Mykonos?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos Town