We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one night in August

Which Mykonos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kent
one night in August

Hi, we are staying in Mykonos for one night on return from paros before flying home.

I would love to spend time on Mykonos at another time of year, but it will be August, and I dont think we will see it in its best light.

Having said that, I would like to make the most of our one afternoon and night, and was thinking Mykonos town or Ornos?

What is the best for at least attempting to avoid the crowds?

If we opted for Ornos, could we get taxis easily?

We will be travelling with children (age 7) who are happy in the pool all day.

Edited: 3:02 pm, February 03, 2013
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
reviews: 24
1. Re: one night in August

You definitely won't see Mykonos in its best light in August.

If you want to avoid crowds, avoid the town. It will be packed and I don't imagine it would be the least bit enjoyable to walk around, especially with your two young children.

Ornos will be very busy, too, especially since it's one of the top family beaches on the island. You could take the bus to get to/from Town, but the buses will be very busy also. Taxis are a possibility, but with only three dozen cabs on the entire island, and August being peak season, they are going to be in high demand and you could face a significant wait to catch a taxi in either direction.

When you're checking for hotels, whether in Town or at a beach, don't be surprised if you have trouble finding availability -- in August, many require a minimum stay of 3 nights or longer.

One option you could consider is Makis Place near the New Port at Tourlos. They have a swimming pool plus a children's pool, and offer transportation to and from the port. Agios Stefanos beach, another popular family beach on Mykonos, is less than a 20-minute walk away (and along the bus route between the beach and Mykonos Town). The Town itself is walking distance; however, it's a long a narrow road with no sidewalks, and in August this road will be extremely busy with traffic -- the road won't be pleasant to walk. But you wouldn't have to go into Town at all if you didn't want to -- the Molaraki restaurant is right on the premises, and the excellent Matthew Taverna is practically next door.

Hotel website: http://makisplace.com/

Edited: 3:10 pm, February 03, 2013
kent
2. Re: one night in August

Thanks for your quick reply Donnyb, I was afraid you would say that :))

I will look at your suggestion, and make a decision soon.

On another note though, can we book a taxi from the airport to the port, or is the only choice to queue. We need to factor this in for our outbound ferry crossing.

thanks again

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
reviews: 24
3. Re: one night in August

Far as I'm aware, you can't prebook the taxis and will have to queue. I have seen people mention alternative private transfers arranged through firms that offer this service from airports around the world, but have never used one on Mykonos and don't know what the prices would be like (a Google search for "airport transfers Mykonos" might give you some results).

4. Re: one night in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 05, 2014