We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Which Mykonos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 3
Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Hi,

I know this is a topic that has been discussed every year (almost) and on which Heimdall and few others had given detailed explanations. I have read all of the replies and responses.

So far the plan is I travel from Mykonos to Santorini on 20th April which is a Saturday. We have booked hotels at both ends and they are non-refundable :( So the plan is that we travel on the 20th. I saw that there is a more scenic route via Paros, and if so, do you guys think it would be available for me?

I tried Olympic/Aegean and the other budget airline as options (more like predictions based on the rates given uptill march 2013).

It looks like the only option is for me to fly via Athens or pray that a ferry turns up. http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/ says that in 2012 there was no ferry on Saturday.

As indicated by some others, if the ferry starts about 9 days before Greek Easter, then I'm screwed cos Easter in 2013 is on 5th May. :(

coming from Sri Lanka, in all probability we will be spending a small fortune (after conversion to local currency) on this trip, and since its a kind of a special trip for us, I just want it to go without any hitch.

Any advise, (other than telling me to be calm and that everything will be ok) is more than welcome. and thanks in advance :)

cheers

Gurgaon
reviews: 6
21. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Hi

We plan to go from santorini to mykonos on 18th april'13...and off to kusadasi (turkey) via samos on 20th...is the timetable out yet?? This ferry news will cost a lot of money!

Please help if you figured out a solution.

Thanks

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
22. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Yes, the timetables are out. You can go from Santorini to Syros on 17 April (9:00-18:00), stay overnight and go to Mykonos in the morning (11:50-13:15).

There is no ferry between Mykonos and Samos off season - you have to go back to Syros (daily 14:15-15:40). There is no ferry on 20th April. You can go either on the 19th or 22nd (23:40-09:10)

www.gtp.gr

Mumbai (Bombay...
23. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

I thought Island hopping was fun. I had delayed my plans to Greece till april end and yet no silver lining.I had plans to go from Mykonos to Santorini on 22nd April but cannot find any ferry before 24th.

Mayday !!

:(

Someone help

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
24. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Well, it is certainly not fun for those wanting to travel between two major tourist traps in the Aegean off season without doing proper research on Greek ferries and routes.

You can go to Syros on the 22nd, stay overnight and go to Santorini in the morning.

www.gtp.gr

Edited: 8:38 am, March 18, 2013
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
reviews: 8
25. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Island Hopping IS fun. But the way to do it, especially out of season, is not to book anything or plan anything in advance. You get to somewhere in Greece, find somewhere to stay, then find out when and where you can go next. Before the internet this was the usual way of doing it.

Edited: 9:20 am, March 18, 2013
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
26. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Ssstraveller and Tashish, you can make your island hopping plan work if you stick to islands on the same ferry route. Paros or Naxos work well with Santorini, as they are on the same ferry route, and have daily ferries throughout the year. Both these islands have larger permanent populations than Mykonos, so there will be more going on in April. All the islands will be quiet, and the clubs on Mykonos you may have read about will be closed.

27. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

well I'm almost 3 weeks away from my travel date... all this time i took the advise of Heimdall and managed to stay clam... but now i'm getting a bit panicky. As suggested, I decided to travel from Mykonos to Syros and thereafter to travel to Santorini.

although gtp shows that there is a ferry from Syros to Santorini on Saturdays, somehow I can't seem to be able to purchase tickets and ti says the ferry is not confirmed.. The only option seems to be to travel all the way back to Athens, and then shuttle back. :(

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
reviews: 8
28. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Don't worry, it will be confirmed eventually. That ferry, Aqua Spirit, does that journey year-round. I think it's one of the subsidised routes and they often aren't confirmed until a week or two in advance. I think that another reason why it is not confirmed is that the time may vary a bit. From 20th April it is due to sail at 10:00 instead of 12:00 like it is at the moment. I think the reason for this is that at the moment it has an altered schedule because it is covering for its sister ship, Aqua Jewel, which is in dock for its winter maintenance. Until they are sure the Aqua Jewel will be back in service, they won't confirm the time that Aqua Spirit will sail. Until they have confirmed the timing you won't be able to buy tickets. There's no reason to buy tickets in advance anyway. Because you can't buy a ticket nobody else can. Just buy a ticket from an agency just before you travel.

Edited: 6:48 pm, March 29, 2013
29. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

hmmm... phew.. thanks for that comforting words :) I've been having a nightmare getting my Visa sorted. The EU embassies on this part of the world seem to think that every person applying for a visa wants to be an illegal immigrant. so far I have been to europe 6 times and they still ask the most unfair questions before giving the visa. so on top of all of that, this ticket issue.. which is stressing me out.. besides, its supposed to be our honeymoon. so I just don't want things out hanging till the last moment.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
30. Re: Mykonos to Santorini in April 2013

Well, way back in August I advised that FlyingCat 4 would probably begin its Mykonos - Santorini runs a week before Greek Easter, and that turned out to be the case. Now I advise that you look upon a stop in Syros as a bonus, and stop worrying. Syros is the capital of the Cyclades, and well worth a short visit. Syros is the home port for Aqua Jewel and Aqua Spirit, which provide a year-round connection to islands on different main ferry routes, including Mykonos and Santorini. You won't have to buy tickets in advance, because the ferry won't be full. When island hopping off season you have to adjust your plans to the ferry schedules, because they won't adjust for you. Relax, go with the flow, and enjoy your honeymoon! :-)

Edited: 4:30 am, March 30, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos Town