We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for person with mobility issues

Which Mykonos Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WI
reviews: 19
Hotel for person with mobility issues

We will be traveling with my father in law, who has knee problems. He would like to go to town. I see hotels listed that state they are 10, 15 minutes walking distance away. That probably is not a good idea for him to walk that much, as he would want to walk around when he got to town. Is there a bus or is there any form of easy transportation around the island? Or do we need to get a hotel in town? Any recommendations as to what hotel would suit our needs would be appreciated.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
reviews: 24
1. Re: Hotel for person with mobility issues

Most of Mykonos Town is a pedestrian zone for which there is no bus or taxi service. Taxis can, however, drive into Manto Square (aka Taxi Square), which is close to the town center. People staying at hotels that are 10 to 20 mins or whatever walking distance away could accordingly take cabs to Taxi Square and then walk around the town from there. Note, however, that most hotels that distance from town are on hills, which might not be easy for your father in law to walk.

Bus service is available between Mykonos Town and a variety of beaches on different parts of the island (e.g. Platis Gialos, Ornos, Agios Ioannis, Paraga, Paradise, Elia, Agios Stefanos), as well as to the inland village of Ano Mera.

Some hotels you could consider that are in Mykonos Town are Hotel Leto, Harmony Hotel, Mykonos Theoxenia, and Carbonaki.

WI
2. Re: Hotel for person with mobility issues

Is it easy to get a cab from hotels to the downtown? We would be there Sept 10-13. Someone posted that getting a cab was difficult and a long wait, but that may have been during peak season?? About how much does it cost to stay at one of the hotels that advertise ten minute walk. Walking up and down the hills to the hotel would not be good, but if cabs were easy to get and reasonable, that that would be fine.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
3. Re: Hotel for person with mobility issues

There are fewer than three dozen taxis on the entire island, so in peak season people often have to wait to get taxis. You will be visiting after peak season, just as things are starting to wind down, and shouldn't have trouble getting taxis.

There are hotels of all price ranges on Mykonos, including areas a 10-minute walk away from the town center. The town itself has accommodations of all price ranges. Distance from the town actually has no bearing on price.

WI
4. Re: Hotel for person with mobility issues

We are looking at Maki's Place, just because the pictures look like a fairly level area and it says a bus stop right outside the door. It's a little farther from town but not having to walk to a bus stop is good. Other hotels looked like their were a fair amount of steps just walking up and around the grounds. It's the going up and down that will be bad.

Is anyone familiar with Maki's? They are slow to respond to questions by email.

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 8
5. Re: Hotel for person with mobility issues

I always stay at Makis Place & have done for many years. The bus stop is just a few yards from the hotel. You do have to walk up a few steps to access most of the rooms. It is just a few steps up to the swimming pool & the dining area is at ground level.

Makis is very accommodating & if possible he will give you a room with few steps.

The nearest beach, Ag. Stefanos can be reached by bus within a couple of minutes & access to the beach is only a few yards over level ground.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
6. Re: Hotel for person with mobility issues

I saw Makis in May. It is indeed on a level area just off the road between Mykonos Town and the New Port at Tourlos. And there is a bus stop just across the road. Buses to/from Town run regularly, so even though the hotel is away from the Town, it actually is conveniently located.

The Molaraki restaurant is right on the premises, but practically next door is Matthew Taverna, which has excellent food. So you have two dining options right at that hotel.

Here's a link to Molaraki's website: http://www.molaraki.com/

I've heard good things about Makis Place from someone who is very familiar with the hotel.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
7. Re: Hotel for person with mobility issues

Hehe ... while I was writing my reply, Mick posted his. He is the person I was referring to when I made the comment in my final sentence!

Here's a link to dozens of online photos of Agios Stefanos that I shot in May: outdoors.webshots.com/album/583079574Khwxrv…

Genoa, Italy
8. Re: Hotel for person with mobility issues

probally too late to help you but might help others. Hotel Carbonaki is a small family hotel right in the old town. Very clean no stairs to get to it or hills. If you say there arw mobility problems they have ground floor rooms, the so kind will meet you at the ferry, carry the luggage etc. you do need to walk down small slope from where the car lets you off. Email rhem direct and tell them any problems you have

9. Re: Hotel for person with mobility issues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, December 17, 2013