We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After some advice...

Which Watamu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tamworth, United...
posts: 8
reviews: 1
After some advice...

We are due to travel, on our honeymoon, to Kenya on the 11th July.

We have booked our flights/accom separately, not with a package provider, so I highly doubt we will get any money back.

Flights - Kenya Airways

Accom - Watamu - Turtle Bay Beach Resort

We fly to Nairobi, and then get a flight from there to Mombasa, then I suppose we would have to get some transport to Watamu, through the 'no-go' area.

I've noticed that we could fly from Nairobi to Malindi, at £65 per person, which would be £260 overall there and back for the both of us. A price I don't want to pay if I don't have to, but willing to to keep us out of the affected areas.

From what I can tell, Malindi and Watamu is unaffected, so as long as we stick around there and the Tsavo parks, as we planned, we should be ok.

What are peoples thoughts on this? Especially in light of the bombings today.

Thanks,

Callum

8 replies to this topic
London, United...
posts: 905
reviews: 16
1. Re: After some advice...

I would check with your insurance company to see where you stand on a refund before you choose to do anything

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
posts: 664
reviews: 7
2. Re: After some advice...

If you decide to stick with your Kenya trip, there is no need to book the connecting flights yet. They can be booked much closer to your travel date. So you have time to wait and see on that.

Tamworth, United...
posts: 8
reviews: 1
3. Re: After some advice...

I would like to stick with our trip, as long as things stay as they are, and don't get worse.

Not too phased by the warnings issued, as these things happen all over the world, including the UK, and we aren't ones to live under a rock all of our lives.

Booked with Expedia, and spoke to them, who advised that the 'rules' set by the airlines (Kenya Airways) is that we cannot make any changes. So we are currently flying to NBO then MBA.

Original plan was to get TBBC to pick us up from Moi and take us there, but that means travelling through the 'no-go' area.

I'm happy to spend a bit extra if it means safety, as we would be spending £80 each transfer anyway.

Thinking of just seeing how things pan out...my only worry is that if it gets worse, I fear that the money is down the drain, as I didn't book through a 'travel agent', all done online.

Flights - non-refundable

Hotel - Need to cancel before 12th July to be able to get 90% of the costs back.

Any other thoughts?

Callum

uk
posts: 1,278
reviews: 1
4. Re: After some advice...

i would think depending on who you choose if you fly nrbi to malindi there would be weight restriction on your baggage unless the flight is with kq

Tamworth, United...
posts: 8
reviews: 1
5. Re: After some advice...

Would do it with Kenya Airways. NBO to MYD.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
posts: 13,853
reviews: 52
6. Re: After some advice...

Might be worth checking your travel insurance if you have it, see if it covers you cancelling because of 'do not travel; warnings

Cambridge, United...
posts: 92
reviews: 59
7. Re: After some advice...

Callum, speak to the hotel as on their facebook page last week they said that they have an alternative route which doesn't take you through the 'no go' area in Mombassa.

Alison

Tamworth, United...
posts: 8
reviews: 1
8. Re: After some advice...

I heard about that, but have no further details. I have organised for them to collect us from Mombasa airport, and to drop us back off there afterwards, so if they have a different route, great!

Thanks for the heads up Alison, I will ask them, and update here.

Callum

Reply to: After some advice...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Watamu