We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaweed late June July?

Which Watamu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
reviews: 17
Seaweed late June July?

Hi have been to Tbbc In march and it was perfect! Need to go back, but due to exams can only make late jun, early July - in march the beach is idyllic white sand, low tides in the day for rock pooling and high tides in the afternoon ... And no seaweed anywhere - can anyone advise on the seaweed/ state of beach during jun/ July please

Thanks in advance xxx

Mombasa, Kenya
1. Re: Seaweed late June July?

I do not know about the sea weed - I have not been to Watamu in years!

Tides depend on the Moon, every day the time for low/high tide is different and it gets later every day. There are two low and two high tides a day and depending on spring or neap tides you have the height of each tide. The best is to check this table (Malindi is given as the closes measured point to Watamu) …mobilegeographics.com/calendar/…3557.html Look at the time for low tide during the day over your stay and you will know exactly what to expect!

July is a nice time at the coast, not too hot, generally dry even if a few clouds at time. Take something light to put over your shoulders as evenings can be cool (light shawl or a long sleeve cotton top). I love our cooler "winters", but maybe because I live here year round :)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
2. Re: Seaweed late June July?

Hi,

I can't speak specifically about Watamu in June / July but generally at the coast the seaweed is brought in by the East / South East Monsoon the Kuzi, which traditionally dominates the weather from mid to late March / April through till the end of October / early November so you are likely to see more seaweed than you did last time.

Wales
3. Re: Seaweed late June July?

Thank you for your replies, they are both really helpful. It looks a tho' we may hang on a bit and return again in March which was perfect!

Mombasa, Kenya
4. Re: Seaweed late June July?

You are most welcome but should you decide to stick to your plan and come in July, you will not regret either!

Larissa

Northampton, United...
5. Re: Seaweed late June July?

Hi my mum lives in watamu and the seaweed is not good that time of year

hereford
reviews: 131
6. Re: Seaweed late June July?

Just returned from our 9th stay at Turtle bay. Our very first stay there was in July 2000 when the seaweed on the beach was plentiful & covered most of the sand, it is not allowed to be cleared away due to the fact of it's situation in the marine reserve, however the local boys do clear pathways in it. Since then we have stayed at various times of the year - August, Nov & lately Jan. Would suggest if you want to enjoy the beautiful sandy beach don't visit in july

uk
reviews: 1
7. Re: Seaweed late June July?

dont worry about the sea weed just go and enjoy

i dont know why people are concerned about it, you never see many whites swimming in the sea, none lay on the beach , most go for a walk "ONCE" and if left alone will do it again if not thats there trip to the beach rest of the time there around the pool

england
8. Re: Seaweed late June July?

We went in July and there was a lot of seaweed , particularly towards the village - not so bad walking south from the hotel.

Going back late September so will be interesting to compare. It doesn't really spoil anything, though I do prefer the sand !

9. Re: Seaweed late June July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Watamu