We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a Safari worth it ?

Which Watamu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
yorkshire
reviews: 14
Is a Safari worth it ?

Im getting quotes for £420 for two days one night and to be honest feel its not worth it as you can double this and have a week all inc at Egypt for two.

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
1. Re: Is a Safari worth it ?

If you like wildlife its worth it. If not then probably not.

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kikambala
reviews: 7
2. Re: Is a Safari worth it ?

Egypt is nothing like a safari.

I liked Egypt but I would not have missed my safaris.

yorkshire
3. Re: Is a Safari worth it ?

Ha Ha

Great straight answer. still im lost not sure what i what to do. I feel going to a school or orphanage maybe more rewarding view of Kenya n better invested.

I feel the Safaris are way over priced after all its a third world country asking silly prices.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
4. Re: Is a Safari worth it ?

Do what your heart and head tell you. If you find it too expensive you won't enjoy it.

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
5. Re: Is a Safari worth it ?

On safari, I've been lucky enough to stay in places that charge up to $1000 per person per night. Believe me it is a far cry from anything "third world". No idea what prices the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge may have paid for their safaris for that matter.

If you have to ask if its worth it you'd probably better staying on the coast.

Washington DC...
reviews: 9
6. Re: Is a Safari worth it ?

Sounds like you don't want to go.

You don't say what you get for your quote, but I'd guess food, transportation and game drives. Probably not a 'silly' price when you break it down. Try going for safari for that price in the UK or Egypt.

Winchester, United...
reviews: 27
7. Re: Is a Safari worth it ?

When you add up ;

park fees around $80 / $60 per person per day.

Vehicle hire, fuel, vehicle park fee, vehicle insurance.

Driver / guide.

Lodge accommodation.

Food.

It does add up.

I would try and get a few quotes from different companies.

I love Ambolseli ( we saw over a 1000 elephants within 40 minutes of entering )

and satao camp in East Tsavo,wildlife outside your tent day and night.

yorkshire
8. Re: Is a Safari worth it ?

Thank you for replies and i feel its not for us as not interested in wild life and travelling in vans/ cars. I think ill do diving and go to local places and give some support that way.

Would like to visit a school or orphange and take some food/ clothes etc could you recommend any thing on this ie what would be best to bring or buy locally.

PRESTON
reviews: 13
9. Re: Is a Safari worth it ?

Just thought I would let you know how I felt about safaris. I am also a diver and have been to many dive places but my husband being an animal lover would have gone on safari many years ago but it didn't interest me so got left off our holiday wish list, however a few years ago I saw a cheap hol to Mombasa so booked a two night safari ,we loved it so much we went back on safri in our second week and have been going back every year since and next Feb we are going back again for 17 days just doing the different parks north of Nairobi, we took my daughter and family and they are now hooked and are coming back with us again. If you are staying in Mombasa ,Shadrack of Glorious safaris supports an orphanage called Heart orphanage and he will take you to see them ,we took lots of clothes etc but they really need help with paying bills etc ,one of the things they got most exited about were socks,the orphanage are on facebook.If you want to know anything else just mail me, just don't dismiss a safari as its the best experience.

nyc
10. Re: Is a Safari worth it ?

Every destination worldwide has it's pros/cons and price structure. What you pay on packaged trips to some vs private independent travel and level of comfort and amenities will likewise vary. I sure didn't compare prices for a visit to Southeast Asia (less) to one on safari. Rather it's the overall benefits of what I hoped to see, do and enjoy.

So, if in your case there is no interest in wildlife in their natural habitat, rather than at the zoo, don't do it.

Different strokes.....................

Get answers to your questions about Watamu
Recent Conversations