We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day safari

Which Watamu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wolverhampton...
reviews: 61
One day safari

Hi everyone,

I'm considering going on a one day safari when I come to Kenya in early August. I'm considering going to Tsavo East, does anyone know roughly how long it takes to get to where the animals congregate? Do you travel straight to a watering hole or do you just get drive until you spot something?

I'm thinking it could be a very long day, and just wondering if it might be worth spending a bit extra and have one night in a lodge. I look forward to any replies :)

Augsburg, Germany
reviews: 5
1. Re: One day safari

Hi,

spend the extra and take one night - you will regret if you don`t do this. There are some moderate accomodations. I would contact some different operators via e-mail and ask for offers for 1 day Tsavo East and some for 1 overnight Tsavo East - than you know the difference and can think about it.

It is about a 2 hour drive from Watamu to Tsavo through the Sala Gate.

Bye

Chrissy

Leeds
reviews: 2
2. Re: One day safari

We went to Tsavo East in February, its an amazing place. Huge! which means alot of the park is varied in term so landscape and animals.

Feb is the hottest time and the waterholes were mostly surrounded by elephants so if you love these then you could stake out the water holes but then how do you see the rest of the wonder? You would have to "drive around" to see the other lesser seen or more timid animals that may only come to the 'public' water holes at night time.

Didn't take that long at all to get there from Mombasa, but as Chrissy says, definitely stay longer!!!

Wolverhampton...
3. Re: One day safari

Thanks a lot for all the replies, I will have another look at all the deals I have been sent so far and make a decision fairly soon. I'm very excited :)

kent
reviews: 31
4. Re: One day safari

Hi have you booked your Safari yet ? Get a quote from Abdul of Tunda Tours he's very good.

Jackie

Wolverhampton...
5. Re: One day safari

Hi Jackie,

I have had a few emails from various companies and at the moment Kingi Safaris looks like the best deal, £100 for a one day safari to Tsavo East! I think this is the one we will pick, and am really excited! This will be our first safari.

Katherine.

kent
reviews: 31
6. Re: One day safari

Hi Katharine,

That is a very good deal indeed, what's his email address ? Are you staying at Turtle Bay, Watamu ?

Thanks

Jackie

Scotland
reviews: 6
7. Re: One day safari

Would not really recommend a one day safari, basically some of the best viewing is the early morning game drive which starts around 6.30, on a one day trip you wont get to the park until usually after 8 o clock. Push the boat out and go for the overnight stay, you will not regret it.

Wolverhampton...
8. Re: One day safari

This is the email address for Kingi Safaris: ray@kingisafaris.com

I still haven't actually boked the safari so am still thinking about it!

Derbyshire
reviews: 22
9. Re: One day safari

I agree with welshie1, we have travelled a lot in Africa and day time, though fantastic, is the least exciting time of all. Early morning and evening is by far the best times to see the animals. Once the two of us were taken out (with tracker and guide) to sit on a rocky ledge to hear the sounds and see the animals " as Dawn broke"....the most exciting and majical time ever.....night time too has wonderful sounds ...you could experience all this in the safe confines of a lodge, but only if you stay overnight....I am sure you will love it what ever you do. Consider shortening another part of your trip to compensate...it will be worth it.

Wolverhampton...
10. Re: One day safari

My friend has come up with another option - Shimba Hills National Park for a day, have any of you been there? I looked on the map and it looks like it's in the far south of Kenya. How does it rate against Tsavo East in terms of animal viewing?

Get answers to your questions about Watamu
Recent Conversations