We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Beach and Safari - Questions, Questions !

Which Watamu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridgeshire
reviews: 55
Turtle Beach and Safari - Questions, Questions !

We're in the very early planning stages at the moment and need some advice in relation to Turtle Bay and a Safari. Someone has recommended this hotel to me and they advised us not to book a safari until we arrive at the hotel. Apparently it's a lot cheaper that way, and although you miss out on a couple of days all inclusive, it means that you can leave the majority of your clothes etc in your room and don't have to lug it all around with you.

When is the best time to go ? We're looking at November 2011 ? What will the weather be like ?

And the most important question... Turtles ! Are we likely to see them at the resort ? When is the best time to travel to see the babies hatching ? We've been to Heron Island on the Great Barrier Reef a couple of times where we've seen these magnificent creatures come up the beach to lay their eggs, but so far haven't timed it lucky enough to see the babies.

Please help - including any other advice you can give us !

Many thanks

Alison and Mark

42 replies to this topic
Cambridgeshire...
reviews: 5
1. Re: Turtle Beach and Safari - Questions, Questions !

HI! We are just at the 'planning stage' of a holiday to this hotel too. As I understand it, if we book a safari with our tour operator (probably Thomsons) we have to pack up and move out of our room, although we can leave the locked cases at the hotel until our return. Is this right? I know a lot of people book with local companies for these safaris and trips but am afraid I am rather a coward and want to know I am 'safe' should anything untoward happen.

Cambridgeshire
2. Re: Turtle Beach and Safari - Questions, Questions !

Hi ducky lady. Mmmm, this question was light on replies so I did some research of my own. You're right, if you book here as part of your holiday, you have to pack up and move out. If you book there, you take a chance but you keep your room. Since I've posted this question I've found out that 2 people from work have been to tbbc. They assure me it's fantastic and both have said don't book the safari until you get there. Apparently there's lots of choice and it's cheaper! So we've bitten the bullet, we're off at the end of October. We've booked 2 weeks at tbbc through Thomas cook - no safari ! I've been in touch with a couple of companies though and we will probably arrange it before we go but through a local company. Julius tact and Abdul from tundi ? Safaris have both been recommended. Hope you get sorted.

Cambridgeshire...
3. Re: Turtle Beach and Safari - Questions, Questions !

Thanks for all of that. Funnily enough we are looking into going in October too with Thomson (",) It's even more spookyy that we both come from Cambridgehire!!!! Maybe I'll have a look around at local companies offering safaris. We only want to go for a couple of days/1 night.Will hopefully make a decision soon as all the reviews of the hotel that I have read have been great.

Have a fab holiday. Thanks again

Cambridgeshire
4. Re: Turtle Beach and Safari - Questions, Questions !

Let me know what you decide and if we're there at the same time, I'll see you in the bar for a cocktail !

I've got a reply from one of the companies which might give you some ideas. I'll send you a private message with the details.

Cambridgeshire...
5. Re: Turtle Beach and Safari - Questions, Questions !

Thank you. Any information would be great.

Perth, United...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Turtle Beach and Safari - Questions, Questions !

Hello ladies

Although I have not been for a number of years, I have been to TBBC on 3 occasions. It is in a beautiful setting, and you are in for a real treat. The staff at the hotel will be your friends when you leave.

I would definately say do not book your safari until you get there. If you go onto the beach, one of the beach boys will organise one for you. They have like a folder with photos and prices in it for a whole range of safaris (it doesnt look very professional, but it is the EXACT same safari that you will pay dear for in the u.k.) ranging from the lunatic express, which is a 1 day taster safari, whereby you leave the TBBC at the crack of dawn, head to Tsavo East, which is a massive park the size of Wales, and return late evening. They also cater for 7 or 10 day luxury safaris, balloon safaris etc etc. It is very safe to book through the beach boys, I am hoping to return to TBBC next May or June, and this is how I will be booking my safari.

For a real safari experience, I would recommend a tented safari. The tents are fantastic, fully equiped usually with solar panels for lighting and hot water, and are en suite! That way you can hear all the different sounds in the park, you cant beat it!

I am sure whichever you decide on, either booking through your tour operator or through the beach boys, you will have an unforgettable time, something that will stay with you forever.

Enjoy!

Christina xx

Cambridgeshire...
7. Re: Turtle Beach and Safari - Questions, Questions !

Thank you so much Christina. The hotel does look wonderful and it's one of the few holidays I have ever researched on Trip Advisor that has had such positive feedback. I'm still a bit wary of booking the safari with the beach boys, partly because someone else pointed out that, on checking the small print on their insurance, they discovered they weren't insured on trips booked locally when not through their tour operator. Don't think our insurance is so restrictive, but as I said earlier.... I am a bit of a coward (",)

Cambridgeshire
8. Re: Turtle Beach and Safari - Questions, Questions !

Thanks Christina. We're so looking forward to it! We've done our research and we'll be booking our safari through a local company we've been recommended. We've decided on a tented camp in the Masai mara. Very very excited!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
9. Re: Turtle Beach and Safari - Questions, Questions !

we have stayed here about 14 times now :) wonderful hotel, fantastic staff ( they really make your holiday) if you need a contact for safari please pm me, he also gives a great rate if you're changing money, do NOT change any money at TBBC, although its convenient you will get ripped off (ie get a terrible rate)

lilongwe
10. Re: Turtle Beach and Safari - Questions, Questions !

Turtle Bay can be great for families too. Trips can be booked locally depending on where you are travelling to. You might or might not be lucky with the safari vendors in terms of pricing. compare notes and you might be suprised to find that booking in advance is better. Rooms can be scarce

Reply to: Turtle Beach and Safari - Questions, Questions !
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Watamu
Recent Conversations