We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in MBJ?

Which Rose Hall hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
reviews: 4
Snorkeling in MBJ?

We are traveling to the Hilton Rose Hall Resort MBJ in July with our 2 daughters, age 11 & 14. They really want to snorkel. The hotel says it provides snorkel equipment, but I read a review that said there was no snorkel equipment to be found at the resort. Where can we find decent snorkeling? And do we need to book a tour in advance prior to arrival with a tour company? Which do you recommend? And how much is it?

15 replies to this topic
Jamaica
1. Re: Snorkeling in MBJ?

I would recommend the cool runnings catamaran and dunns river excursions. If you are up for a drive to Ocho rios.

reviews: 65
2. Re: Snorkeling in MBJ?

Most likely, there's no snorkel equipment at the hotel, because there's no need for it. The water is very murky.

I'm told Negril is the place for snorkeling, unless like the other reviewer mentioned, you take a snorkeling excursion.

Austin, Texas
3. Re: Snorkeling in MBJ?

Thanks. We went on our trip and were able to go on a snorkeling excursion right from the shore of our hotel. It was nice...not great. But a great first experience for my little one.

4. Re: Snorkeling in MBJ?

We were at the Hilton around 25 years ago when it was the Windham and we snorkeled right off the shore with no problem. The water was clear and there was plenty of fish. Not sure why things changed...

I'm glad you were able to do it on an excursion. The snorkeling in Mexico (Riviera Maya) is much better, but Jamaica has a lot of other things to offer..

Austin, Texas
5. Re: Snorkeling in MBJ?

Good to know about riviera maya Mexico. We are already planning our next beach destination!

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 19
6. Re: Snorkeling in MBJ?

J.P,

I was at Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, twice...two years ago and I could see my feet in shoulder deep water. Not sure if the murky situation is not realated to bad weather.

Have a great vacation.

Regarding Rviera Maya, been there many time and not a lot of place will allow the oportunity to snorkel from the shore, way to many waves (like I said ...IN MOST not all). Do want to get bash her.

You have pick a very good resort with a Star Friends team that will keep your girls very entertained.

Have a great vacation.

Alex

7. Re: Snorkeling in MBJ?

Thanks for the opinion, but I've been to Riviera Maya at least 10 times and I've stayed at at least 4 resorts. All of them had great snorkeling from the shore. I try to bring out the positive of each resort, but I also tell the truth. My comments,and I'm sure the comments of others as well, were simply made to provide the honest truth. Hilton Rose Hall is a FABULOUS resort and offers many activities (free) from the beach. However, in the 9 days that I stayed there (with beautiful weather for the most part), I was never able to snorkel due to murky water (not dirty, just stirred up murky water). I've never stayed at another resort in Jamaica, which should be a testament to this one, which I've stayed at twice (under different owners).

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Snorkeling in MBJ?

Your kids are going to love the snorkelling in Jamaica. I would definitely doing it through the tour. They go further away from the touristy areas and it makes for a better excursion. There is a really good operator in Negril Harbour called Sunbaby tours.

9. Re: Snorkeling in MBJ?

I will say that the water by Margaritaville was extremely clear. I'm sure snorkeling excursions in that area would also be great.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 19
10. Re: Snorkeling in MBJ?

Sightseeker29,

I was not saying that you were not telling the truth, not sure why anyone wouldn't. I am saying I had a very different experience.

Also, at Sandals Whitehouse, everyone raves about the beach (French section included) and I was never in 7 days saws the bottom of it. Maybe like you said, weather plays a good deal. The water is clear in Riviera Maya, however, I find it difficults to snorkel because of the waves.

:)

I love snorkeling and go when ever I can.

Alex

Reply to: Snorkeling in MBJ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted