We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

current exchange rate for AU $

brisvegas
reviews: 19
current exchange rate for AU $

Hi, have seen all msgs on T/A re: currency....the latest i could find was june 2013. We leave in a week and i am undecided wether to change money here in oz or wait until we reach Penang. The post office here are offering 2.8mr to $1 au....no fee.....local foreign exchange are offering 2.6mr to $1au with fee....could anyone tell me what roughly the exchange rate is over in Penang at the mo...?? many thanks. :)

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Batu Ferringhi
reviews: 32
1. Re: current exchange rate for AU $

Hi today exchange is app 1 Aud to 2.9 RM, you will usually get a much better deal in penang. We never change until we arrive at the airport as the exchange is always better. It is up to you what you feel more comfortable to do.

cheers

Ang

Sydney
reviews: 30
2. Re: current exchange rate for AU $

Take the 2.8 just enough to get you to the hotel. Airport rates will be much lower.

I was there in January when AUD was 3.2 MYR. Airport was about 2.7. And money changer in Bukit Bintang at 3.1.

There is no way possible that the airport will be better. They make their money on travelers needing to exchange with no other competition. You will need max of 300 ringgit so exchange $100. You only lose about 10 ringgit.

Edited: 4:28 am, August 31, 2013
Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
reviews: 43
3. Re: current exchange rate for AU $

The exchange rate at the Penang Airport bank agency is better than Sydney Airport. However the best rates I have found are along Chulia St, Prangin Mall or at Ocean Jupiter at Batu Ferringhi.

Gaja

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
reviews: 50
4. Re: current exchange rate for AU $

Never exchange at a bank or airport in Australia .. you will get less ... on arrival change just a few bucks to get you to hotel etc and then use the money changers in Penang

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Batu Ferringhi
reviews: 32
5. Re: current exchange rate for AU $

oops sorry meant airport in penang and then money changers in penang after that.

cheers

brisvegas
reviews: 19
6. Re: current exchange rate for AU $

great....thankyou everyone..much appreciated :)

7. Re: current exchange rate for AU $

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 02, 2014