We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's it like?

Which Sete hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
reviews: 51
What's it like?

Hi, my wife and I are planning a trip of 8-10 days to Monptellier or somewhere near. I noticed it might be cheaper to stay in Sete (self- catering) and it's close enough to Montpellier on the train to do day trips. Please could you tell me your opinions on Sete as a place to stay? Some pictures show quite modern buildings but I presume there are older parts too? What are the bars/restaurants like? Is it very scenic? What are the beaches like?(not bothered about swimming but just walking/sitting on the beach). All comments greatly appreciated! Thanks

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
reviews: 3
1. Re: What's it like?

Views are mixed. A couple of residents rave about it - some like the restaurants - but many others don't like it much.

It has been much discussed recently and you should read the various comments here :

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?scope=2&ff=849&geo=187149&q=sete&sub-search.x=0&sub-search.y=0&sub-search=Click+to+search+forums&returnTo=__2F__

Edited: 4:28 am, February 04, 2012
Avignon, France
Destination Expert
for Avignon
reviews: 61
2. Re: What's it like?

As mpprh says, there's been quite a lot of discussion on Sete recently, with a Telegraph write-up quoted quite a lot.

There are some pleasant beaches, and I like Sete as a town. It's not flash, just a pleasant workaday port. If you're coming in the season, you'll enjoy the water jousting - great fun, and attracts large crowds.

3. Re: What's it like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:13 am, February 05, 2012
Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
reviews: 314
4. Re: What's it like?

Montpelier is special so I would consider staying there rather than Sete. For me a day in Sete would be enough.

8-10 days is a long time to stay in Montpelier. How about combining this with days staying in or, at least visiting, Nimes, Avignon, Uzes, Aigue Mortes, Pont du Gard?

From Montpelier it would be far easier to visit these places

Hope this helps

Essex
reviews: 71
5. Re: What's it like?

Sete is like this:

www.virtourist.com/europe/sete/index.html

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
reviews: 18
6. Re: What's it like?

I really like Sete - but it is difficult to compare it to Montpellier as they are so different. Have a look at the link above from the virtual tourist website - you will see that it has lots of old buildings. The approach to Sete isn't particularly pretty, as it is quite industrial, but once you are in the town it is great. If you read the Telegraph article about it, don't be too put off by some of the pretty extreme comments below it ...

Sete's advantages are that it is easier to get to the beach; it is very different to other mediterranean towns; it has a great atmosphere (it is one of those places where you can feel it is where North Africa meets Europe); it is lovely sitting along the canal watching the activity along it; you can find some great seafood restaurants; you are on the Lagoon, so it is handy for exploring the other villages on it.

Montpellier is lovely too: it's bigger, so can offer more in terms of theatre, culture etc; it's got great shopping; it's a lively city, with a large number of students; it's got some interesting modern architecture as well as older buildings; it is somehow "classier" than Sete (although I like the "realness" of Sete too);

It's a very personal thing, as they are such different places, but reading some guide books or internet articles may help you decide which one suits you best. Also, if you are dependent on public transport for day trips, then checking out which place will be easier for you to get to places you want to see may help you make up your mind.

7. Re: What's it like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:33 am, May 16, 2013