We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dong Hoi to Paradise Caves

Which Dong Hoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
Dong Hoi to Paradise Caves

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me out here.

I'll be arriving at Dong Hoi at 430am in the morning in May.

Me and my girlfriend want to try and possibly do a day tour out to Paradise Caves.

We would have loved to go to the Phong Nha Farm Stay but apparently they only take 2 night bookings and that doesn't fit in with our schedule.

What is the best way to go to the caves? Should we hire bikes from Dong Hoi in the morning and ride out there innthe morning or should we book an organized tour?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
leicester
reviews: 117
1. Re: Dong Hoi to Paradise Caves

I may be wrong, but I think it's about 30km in from the station so it will be a long ride. When we were there,a couple of girls stayed in Phong Nha somewhere but the farmstay took them on the tour so it might be worth asking the question. Taxis are outside the station, so maybe you can take one to the caves with a bit of negotiating. There is nothing at the station as I recall, it's not really on the tourist map as such but then we were there in September, it may be different now as things develop quickly.

2. Re: Dong Hoi to Paradise Caves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, April 09, 2013
Edited: 11:35 am, April 09, 2013

San Diego...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Dong Hoi to Paradise Caves

You may have already gone on your trip since its June now but in case you haven't (or for any other readers) definitely rent a moto in Dong Hoi to see the caves. It's only 150,000-200,000 dong/day in Dong Hoi vs ridiculously overpriced moto rentals in Phong Nha (Son Trach). If I did it all over again I would've rented a moto in Dong Hoi, driven to Phong Nha town (50km) and gotten a hotel there. Hotels are 150,000-250,000 dong/night private room. See the Phong Nha cave and Tien Son one day (right in town) and do Paradise Cave the next day. Paradise is about 40km ride from Phong Nha town. The short cut road to Paradise Cave was not drive able so you had to take the 40km route. You can exit driving through the Park (amazing views) towards Phong Nha town so you don't have to backtrack but you cannot drive the other way (ie you can drive north leaving the Park but you cannot drive south into the Park). At least when I visited!

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
reviews: 91
4. Re: Dong Hoi to Paradise Caves

I stayed at the Pepper House Homestay on my last visit and loved it. Not far from Phong Nha town and more rural. A quaint rustic homestay in the countryside. The drive to the park via the north road is wonderful. My time in the town was limited but the people were friendly. Not much going on in the town though. Mostly concentrated around the boat docks which shuttle you to Phong Nha Cave. The government is installing lights along the most scenic part of the park via the old Ho Chi Minus trail. Hope it doesn't ruin the views.

5. Re: Dong Hoi to Paradise Caves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 am, August 30, 2013

Reply to: Dong Hoi to Paradise Caves
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted