We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

portobello royal hotel kos

Which Kardamena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
redditch.united...
portobello royal hotel kos

Me my husband(mid thirties) and our 1yr old have just returned from this fabulous hotel anyone that has booked or looking to book will not be disappointed. The grounds are just gorgeous and so clean we did go the last week in june and the hotel was about 70-80% full as we were due to leave it got really full but the standard didn't drop. The meals are really good lots of choice in the buffet restaurant you are greeted to your table the most friendliest staff ever they really love kids, you then have choice for lunch you can have buffet lunch trust me lots to choose from or the greek restaurant or fish we tried the greek to be fair similar food to the buffet but not as much choice we didn't try the fish but the greek made nice change to eat somewhere different, you then have the ice cream counter mid afternoon to die for, then the evening meal 7pm at buffet and italian and asian restaurant, no early supper for kids but our toddler eats 5pm uk time which was 7pm kos so worked out well for us, we ate at italian twice in 1 week stay and would have gone again so guys book early you have to book the day before would advise to book early morning trust me or you will struggle, the asian was ok you but someone alse might love it.

When you check in ask for 2nd key because it so hot you can leave one in for the aircon when you out of room you will need to.

Everything is all inclusive at the hotel we not spend a single penny.

Entertainment is low key if you looking for rowdy 3str hotel then change but if you looking for class and relaxtion then this is the place if you have kids they very kids friendly here, have childrens pool playroom playground and minidisco for kids at 9pm every eve then show on for everyone but this takes place in theatre outside at the front of hotel which is good so you get no noise at hotel.if you have kids older than 8 or 9 they might get bored but younger will love it.

The swimming pools are to die for won't ruin it for you you will see when you get there.

We never stepped out the hotel once we got there mainly because of little one, but everyone said Kardemana not missing out on much unless you go clubbing, Kos town supposed to be lovely worth the trip.

My husband was so impressed by my choice for this hotel he has said he expects the same standard on next hols, i have nothing bad to say about this hotel we are well travelled barbados,bahamas, miami, goa, thailand and always stop 4/5str so not easily pleased but would sooooo go back here.

so i heard don't book the trips eg day trip to turkey etc through rep you can get much cheaper yourself in kardemena and better.have a great holiday

west yorksuk
1. Re: portobello royal hotel kos

hi jackfield

thanks for the review. which room would you recommend to book....there seems to be a few choices. and would you upgrade at the hotel or with tompsons. many thanks

karen

yorkshire
2. Re: portobello royal hotel kos

Hi

We av booked here for next year. We have a 5 yr old daughter who loves disco & entertainment. Have we picked the right place? Having read the reviews there is no bar near the entertainment for drinks & i dont want her to be bored! She love live shows etc and i know you say its low key. No one seems 2 know!!

Joesy

bromley, kent
3. Re: portobello royal hotel kos

I have just returned from this hotel August 2008 7-14th. You must have stayed at a different hotel to me. The pool here is lovely yes, but it is saltwater and stings your eyes and your skin. The umbrellas around the pool and on the beach are made of mesh so that you burn to a crisp. Around the pool the umbrellas are in concrete bases but because of the wind they get blown over and these are very heavy, they are an accident waiting to happen.

the staff are slow. the food was the same day in and day out. i could list you your menu for when you go. the italian restaurant is the best. you have to book these are 9 am every morning for the following day but they get full in about 10 minutes.

the main dining room has got loads of flies all over the breads, fruits, and tables. even the desserts were the same.

my kids cut their feet on the shallow parts of the pool.

the so called kids entertainment which is a mini disco, only happened once to my knowledge? but my kids are older so i did not use this facility. The ampitheatre is where all the entertainment is if you can call it that. my kids who are 15, 11, 10 we actually getting bored. the volleyball lasts for all of 10 minutes in the pool. we did not find any archery.

the beach is best, has pedaloes and water sports. beach is lovely and far better than the pool. the beach bar is also the best and the staff there seem much nicer too.

lunchtimes are the beach bear there are hotdogs, cake, icecream etc.

they do not give you bottles of water, but if you buy bottles they will fill them up at the bars for you daily.

Dont book with first choice, the rep is a waste of time.

normally a holiday just speeds by, but this one did not, dont get me wrong it was not all bad, but i have been all inclusive before to halkidiki and they need to take some tips from that hotel. The service there was outstanding. that was the oceania club, but the town nearby was a little out of touch with tourists, but still nice.

i am not going to go on about this hotel, but i would definitely not go back to it. i would suggest to anyone who books all inclusive to make sure that you are close to a town for entertainment. kardamena is lively and great if your aged 18 upwards, there are quieter bars and lots of shops ok for the odd night. dont get me wrong, i am all for a lively night, but its no good if you have kids, once past midnight you get the usual drunken lot so perhaps not suitable for those with little kids. i must say the night time was a bit of an eye opener for my 15,11 and 10 year old! but its nothing i did not do when i was younger!

the umbrellas on main kardamena beach are much more suitable but of course you then get away from your all inclusive, so whats the point.

after trying the all inclusive a few times, and having a fantastic hotel in the past, i would not do it again. many of the staff are not greek, you could be anywhere. you seem to miss the real essence of greece and that is a shame. the greek restaurants in general are lovely and unfortunately this does certainly not go the same in this hotel.

you have to be up at 6 am if you want a sunbed at the pool or the beach and you definitely need a sunbed at the front on the beach because the sand burns if you walk more than a few steps.

the sea can be a bit up and down as there are sand banks, mostly shallow but there is the odd deeper bit, but it is gradual. there is no current but occasionally the wind makes refreshing waves, but little kids may be pushed over. dont let your kids too far out on lilo's or rubber rings, the wind carries you without realising it. as long as you dont go out too far its fine. the water is lovely and clear and most kids had fishing nets with no hope of catching the little fish that were around. but do get your kids some snorkels. i only saw my kids backsides for most of the time on the beach whilst they floated around in the water.

if your going, dont let me put you off. take t-shirts for the kids when its too hot, plenty of suntan lotion as it is quite expensive there and be careful because the breeze fools you into thinking it is not that hot. It was 35 degrees when we left.

i would definitely not recommend this hotel for any young groups of people looking for a lively holiday. the aegan village complex is a lot closer to kardamena and looks nice what i could see. but this is definitely not a hotel for evening entertainment.

the kids can order milkshakes from the bars, at the pool bar my daughter was told she was limited to four a day! they do not argue with the adults though!

use the hotel towels, there is a 10 euro deposit as the towels get very thick with salt and go stiff, so use the hotel ones daily.

there are safe deposit boxes is the hotel rooms but this will cost you 25 euros for the week which you do not get back.

having said all of this, there were 7 of us, various ages and we still managed to have an ok holiday, but i am sending in a letter of complaint to first choice.

also, lastly, we spoke to some other holidaymakers who booked, and they told us that this was not the hotel that the brochure showed, i believe they booked with airtours. they said that the picture showed the porto bello royal next door.

by the way, the royal next door, looked lovely and seemed to have much better entertainment but is obviously more expensive.

Timbuktu, Mali
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh
reviews: 65
4. Re: portobello royal hotel kos

Got a bit worried there until i read at the end of your comments that you are talking about the Porto Bello Hotel and not the Royal!

Phew, panic over. Roll on 7 weeks time!

5. Re: portobello royal hotel kos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, October 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kardamena