We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara falls to Rockies

San Diego...
Niagara falls to Rockies

Hi,

I am planning a trip with my wife to look around Niagara falls and then head to Rockies mountains.

I heard there are many different travel routes to get to Rockies from Niagara falls.

I am planning to drive the whole time.

Can I get any advice on which route to take and where to visit at Rockies?

Edited: 4:44 am, October 02, 2013
Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
11. Re: Niagara falls to Rockies

How long altogether? You know, from the day you arrive in Niagara until you leave the Rockies?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 71
12. Re: Niagara falls to Rockies

Hi Timmm123;

Will this be in your own car, or a rental car ?

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 54
13. Re: Niagara falls to Rockies

On the following link you can see 3 possible routes from NF to Banff. Look in the left sidebar under the blue print "suggested routes" to find 3 possibilities. Click on each one to make the blue line change. They all go through the States. They require non stop driving of about 35 hours. If you drove 7 hours a day, it would take you 5 days to get to the Rockies.

http://goo.gl/maps/Iy6zj

On the following link, you can see one route through Canada. It takes almost 40 hours non stop driving, which would be, at 7 hours driving a day, take about 6 days to drive to Banff.

http://goo.gl/maps/EOmQv

A question to ask yourself would be how many hours do you want to spend behind the wheel.

When you get to the Rockies, you could do a good visit if you spent 3 nights in Banff and 2-3 nights in Jasper. In order to find out what to see and do in the Canadian Rockies, please go to the Canadian Rockies Forum and look in the "Things to Do" section which can be clicked open in the green menu bar across the top of the page. Short cut is here:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g659487-Activiti…

You can research in the Attractions tab and the Activities tab.

If you have a rental car starting in Niagara Falls, you need to decide if you're going to drive back to Niagara Falls for another 5 or 6 days, or if you are going to drop the car in Banff or Calgary and fly out from there. If you drop the car, you will find there will be a large one way drop fee for a rental car.

For information about what to do and see on the way across the country, you would best post on the Road Trips Forum. There are lots of current threads in the topics list there that you might open and read to gather information from the advice, ideas and suggestions that are being made to others asking questions on that forum. Here is the link to the Road Trips Forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

In Canada, you can google for the tourist information websites for each province or a specific city. For example: Tourism Manitoba:

http://www.travelmanitoba.com/ ..... or Tourism Regina:

http://tourismregina.com/

You can also go to the province or state forums and use the green navigation bar that I mentioned already, to look at the Things to Do. By doing this, you can create both a driving itinerary and a day plan for what you want to see and do in the cities you visit.

Gloogle Maps is a great tool for figuring out driving distances and driving times.

maps.google.com

Good luck, I hope you have a great trip.

Edited: 1:43 am, October 04, 2013
Burlington, Canada
reviews: 29
14. Re: Niagara falls to Rockies

This is why I wanted to know the entire duration of his stay....to see if doing all this driving is even feasible. Oh well, I've tried and now I will pass the torch to others...

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
15. Re: Niagara falls to Rockies

timmm - that's helpful, but doesn't answer the key question about how much time you have to get between Ontario and Alberta. How many days are you allowing for that part of the journey and what are the logistics for it. That's the part you've asked about, so we can't advise without knowing how much time you have to cover it.

Five days in Banff and Jasper is a minimum. A typical 5 day itinerary would start and finish in Calgary, then you might either drive directly to Jasper for two nights, then return to Banff for three nights, or alternatively, start with two nights in Banff, move to Jasper for two nights, and then finish with one night in Lake Louise before returning to Calgary.

16. Re: Niagara falls to Rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 06, 2014