We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport to see mountains from Vancouver

London, United...
Public transport to see mountains from Vancouver

I am visiting Canada for the first time in October and I have 11 days. I am starting out in Vancouver and I want to go to a town in the mountains where I can enjoy good mountain views. I want to travel by public transport. Can anyone recommend where would be a good place to go for 4 days or that is accessible by train? Or bus? I would prefer to travel by train.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 42
1. Re: Public transport to see mountains from Vancouver

The Rocky Mountains are in a different time zone. I don't think you're heading there.

Most logical destination would be Whistler. Lots of transport options and only 2 hours from Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 52
2. Re: Public transport to see mountains from Vancouver

Welcome to the forum, LondoneerEmily ~

First, the potentially bad news. From Oct 14 to the end of November, all rides up Whistler and Blackcomb, and the Peak to Peak gondola will be closed. Being able to get up the mountains is potentially a big part of going to Whistler.

There is no public transportation (as we call city wide transit here) but there are a couple of commercial coach optiins. Greyhound is the cheapest and is a functional coach for a 2.5 hour ride. Pacific Coach is more expensive butperhaps a more quality ride, again for 2.5 hours. Students and those on lower incomes are typically who take the Greyhound. For PCL to Whistler, I believe you have to go to a downtown pickup point. For Greyhound you would go to Pacific Central Station.

www.greyhound.ca

www.pacificcoach.com

No train here in the winter to Whistler. Without a car, you would probably be happy with 3 nights, 2 full days in Whistler. There is some public transit in Whistler.

www.bctransit.com

3. Re: Public transport to see mountains from Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 16, 2014