We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yoho and glacier national park or just yoho?

Woodmere, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
yoho and glacier national park or just yoho?

Hi - just looking for opinions - In August, we will be staying in banff for one night, lake louise for 2 nights, Jasper for 2 nights and then back to Banff for 2 nights. We are planning on taking a day trip from Lake Louise into Yoho - should we go further to glacier national park? Is it similar to the icefields on the way up to Jasper? Is it something different to see? Is there some place else that I should look into instead? I will be traveling with 3 children who are interested in seeing wildlife and tolerate driving very well. We tend to pack a lot into a day and are up for hiking (in moderation-as the youngest will be 4) - Another consideration - I discovered last summer as we drove up Mt. Washington - that I am extremely fearful of narrow, winding mountain roads - am I setting myself up for a repeat of this this coming summer? Thanks!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
16,211 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: yoho and glacier national park or just yoho?

not many narrow mountain roads in the Rockies. Perhaps the exception would be the road to Takkakaw falls in Yoho but still not bad. Glacier NP is above Montana and quite a ways from Banff. The Going to the Sun hwy is spectacular but you may be paralyzed with fear as its carved out fo the edge of a mountain. I think you'd have a great trip sticking to the towns and dates you've mentioned.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
2. Re: yoho and glacier national park or just yoho?

I think OP meant Glacier National Park in B.C. It is worth the drive even as far as Revelstoke. There are a few tunnels at Rogers Pass, but the lane is wide enough and the road is divided, so no on-coming traffic. Canyon Hot Springs is a wonderful spot for a stay.

Woodmere, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: yoho and glacier national park or just yoho?

thanks - Wallie R - I was talking about the one in B.C. - its seems to be west of Yoho - how are those glaciers different from the icefield ones? what is at Revelstoke? Davidgmg -paralyzed with fear is exactly how I would put it - so I now know that going to the sun highway is not on any itinerary in the near future:)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
92 reviews
4. Re: yoho and glacier national park or just yoho?

Tziona, it is a beautiful drive from Yoho to Rogers Pass (and beyond) but it is a major highway (100 or 110 km/hr) with lots of truck traffic, so it's not as relaxing a drive as on the Icefields Parkway, which is a slower road (max. 90 km/hr) and does not allow truck traffic. One way, it's about 2 hours from Lake Louise to Rogers Pass, or almost 3 hours if you go as far as Revelstoke. (Much as I like Revy, I would suggest you turn around earlier, since this will be a day trip.) Check the Glacier NP website for information on scenic attractions, places to stop for viewpoints or short walks etc. www.pc.gc.ca/glacier

I don't think you should have any problems on the TransCanada #1, Bow Valley Parkway or the Icefields Parkway. You can have a peek at them using google streetview - open google maps www.maps.google.com and zoom in on the area, choose where you'd like a view from at street/ground level, and drag and drop the little orange man icon to that spot on the map. If streetview is available, it will light up in blue. Drop the icon there, and voila! - you can look around in all directions, even up and down.

Woodmere, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: yoho and glacier national park or just yoho?

thanks krp329-is the scenic view in glacier np different than what we would see along the icefields and jasper?

Woodmere, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: yoho and glacier national park or just yoho?

another opinion question - glacier np in bc vs kananaskis?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
679 posts
7. Re: yoho and glacier national park or just yoho?

From Yoho till Golden the Mountain ranges get less impressive, but still glorious, After Golden you'll drive through a wider valley untill Glacier where you'll be driving closer to higher mountains again. All in all it's considered the most beautiful section of the Trans Canada Highway.

Golden is a bit underestimated, I think, but I like it. Lots of hiking from easy to streneous.

Revelstoke is a ski resort, but as mentioned it might a bit out of you way.

www.goldenhikes.ca

revelstokemountainresort.com/lessons-activit…

Re.: your last question, I would have to say Kananaskis.

Woodmere, New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: yoho and glacier national park or just yoho?

thanks wallie r - now I just have to figure out how to fit all of my plans into a 7 days...will post for suggestions when I narrow down my ideas into an itinerary that may be plausible to actually accomplish.

Louisville...
8 posts
9. Re: yoho and glacier national park or just yoho?

I strongly recommend continuing onward to Glacier--but it could be just because I'm biased (I spent two summers working in Glacier and run one of the largest, independent websites on Glacier).

Going to the Sun Road in Glacier is narrow, windy and steep--however, you could always take a red bus tour (Jammer Bus). Basically, you pay a small fee and they drive you up, giving you a historical tour of Glacier along the way. Very well worth it.

www.glacier-national-park-travel-guide.com

glacier-national-park-travel-guide.com/going…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
92 reviews
10. Re: yoho and glacier national park or just yoho?

Perry, please note the OP is asking about the *Canadian* Glacier National Park, located in the Selkirk Mountains between Golden and Revelstoke, BC, and not the US GNP, which is in Montana, adjacent to Waterton National Park in Alberta.

Tziona, to follow up on Wallie's comments - as you drive west from Lake Louise, you will ascend to the continental divide at Kicking Horse Pass, and from there on, you will descend the west slope of the Canadian Rockies into a valley that geologists call the "Rocky Mountain Trench". Golden, BC sits in that valley, which is considered the boundary between the Canadian Rocky Mountains to the east and the Columbia Mountains to the west. After Golden, the TCH #1 veers northwest and follows the trench for a few kilometres, and then turns and starts up into the Selkirks, which are one range of the Columbias. After crossing Rogers Pass, the highway descends into the Columbia River valley, where Revelstoke is located.

The Selkirks are very jagged and steep mountains, and one feature you will notice driving through them is the numerous avalanche slopes. You will even drive through a number of "snowsheds", that protect the highway from avalanches. The route through Rogers Pass is significant in Canadian railway history, and because of the role played by the railway in the joining of British Columbia to the Canadian confederation, also to the history of Canada as a nation. The Visitor Centre at Rogers Pass National Historic Site has a display about the railways, the avalanches etc.

I am not as familiar with this route as I am the Icefields Parkway so I don't recall how many glaciers there are along it, but I am pretty sure that there are many more glaciers visible when driving the latter (the parkway).

And sorry, I can't answer your questions about the Kananaskis area, since I am not very familiar with it. You can easily fill seven days with Banff, Yoho and Jasper National Parks, so with three kids in town, I would recommend limiting the scope of your travels within them.