We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV driving in the Rockies on a UK driving licence?

London
reviews: 3
RV driving in the Rockies on a UK driving licence?

Is a standard UK driving licence for a car enough to hire an RV in British Columbia? I know that I can use a UK licence but I am not clear on whether a licence for a car is enough. In the UK a standard car driving licence is enough to drive cars and smaller vans, not large motorhomes. All car rental websites make it clear that a UK driving licence is ok for rentals, but I am still not clear on whether that refers to a standard UK car licence (category B) or if I need a higher category that covers larger vehicles in the UK.

Amsterdam, The...
1. Re: RV driving in the Rockies on a UK driving licence?

I own a Dutch standard driver's license(B) and it's always been accepted by the RV rental companies. Over the years I've rented RV's from 19ft. up tp 27ft.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 66
2. Re: RV driving in the Rockies on a UK driving licence?

In Alberta, the standard (Class 5) licence allows you to drive "A recreational vehicle or any combination of a recreational vehicle and a trailer, if the trailer has not more than two axles and is not equipped with airbrakes"

(from www.servicealberta.ca/drivers_licence.cfm )

In BC, the standard (Class 5 or 7) licence allows you to drive "Motor homes (including those with more than 2 axles)'

(from icbc.com/driver-licensing/…types-licences )

The only thing that may cause a problem is if you're planning on towing a very large trailer (camping trailer, 5th wheel trailer, boat trailer, towed vehicle) in BC. A special licence is needed to tow "Trailers or towed vehicles exceeding 4,600 kilograms provided neither the truck nor trailer has air brakes". But I don't think it's too likely that you'll be doing that.

London
reviews: 3
3. Re: RV driving in the Rockies on a UK driving licence?

Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like my UK car licence will be ok.

I am planning on hiring a motorhome. Not sure on size yet but it will probably be one of the larger ones of around 28 to 30 feet. I won't be towing any trailers.

4. Re: RV driving in the Rockies on a UK driving licence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 31, 2014