We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a family stay around Newport Beach area

Which Orange County hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Advice for a family stay around Newport Beach area

I am travelling with my husband and 16 month old son to the Newport Beach area for a 6 nights in May. I have two half days of business there and the rest of the time is free. We have never been to the area before.

I am looking for accommodation for us for up to $200 per night and would prefer suite style with separate bedroom and living area and if possible (but not essential) a kitchenette. I have noticed that Costa Mesa has a selection of these types of accommodation and seems to be more affordable than Newport Beach itself.

Can anyone tell me what this area is like to stay in? Is it lively with lots of shops and restaurants or more residential? We will have a car to do day trips and go to the beach and fashion island etc but would still like to stay somewhere that's pleasant to go for a walk and within easy walking distance to dining options. If we can't get this in Costa Mesa we are willing to stretch the budget to $250 if it helps and stay somewhere else like The Island.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

SoCal
reviews: 7
1. Re: Advice for a family stay around Newport Beach area

Costa Mesa has several very different areas. What hotels have you found?

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 3
2. Re: Advice for a family stay around Newport Beach area

Just letting you know that Disneyland would be a rather short day trip from Newport Beach and Costa Mesa. Disneyland is in Anaheim, a little bit further inland than those two.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 143
3. Re: Advice for a family stay around Newport Beach area

Since you specified a hotel that offers suites near shopping and restaurants in Costa Mesa, I would suggest the Marriott Suites Hotel marriott.com/hotels/… It is near South Coast Plaza Mall, many restaurants, the performing arts center and theaters.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Advice for a family stay around Newport Beach area

The Marriott Suite Hotel that I suggested above has suites but not full kitchens.

The Residence Inn Costa Mesa has kitchens. marriott.com/hotels/travel/CSMNB-Residence-I…

However, it is walking distance from nothing so you will have to use your car to get to restaurants and shopping, etc. However, the drive would be all of 10 minutes to either the South Coast Plaza area or to Newport Beach.

Saskatchewan
reviews: 28
5. Re: Advice for a family stay around Newport Beach area

There are a few options in (very) nearby Irvine that might be of interest. If you're looking for a separate bedroom then the Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport is a great choice. It gets terrific reviews and is well located. It is reasonably close to everything you might want to do in Newport Beach. The Embassy Suites is another choice, but I don't think they have separate bedrooms (I could be wrong on that), and then there's also the Springhill Suites Irvine/SNA, which is a regular haunt of ours. I think they are all studio suites, but they do have microwaves and fridges. We like it because it is well located, rates are always really reasonable, and it is a clean and decent property. There's also the Ayres Hotel and Suites, in Costa Mesa, which gets nice reviews (we've always wanted to try it, but given the good rates at the Springhill Suites we've always gone for the better deal--more money to spend at Fashion Island!). The place that I've always wanted to try out is the Marriott Newport Villas. They have two-bedroom suites with ocean views. Every once in a while I see rates under $300 there but it is a pricey spot most of the time given the location and amenities.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Advice for a family stay around Newport Beach area

Residence Inn Irvine is also walkable to nothing. Yes, there are choices in Irvine and the airport area but the OP specifically asked about Costa Mesa and hotels within walking distance of restaurants and shopping.

Embassy Suites properties do have separate living and sleeping rooms and typically have refrigerators and microwaves. But the one referred to is on Dryer Road near the freeway, not walking distance to anything but the parking lot.

Edited: 3:18 pm, February 12, 2013
Melbourne
7. Re: Advice for a family stay around Newport Beach area

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

I have seen the Ayres Hotel and Suites but couldn't work out if it were near anything in walking distance. I will definitely look at the Marriott Suites Hotel.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
8. Re: Advice for a family stay around Newport Beach area

The Ayres Hotel is across from a couple of "strip malls" with a few little coffee shops and local businesses. There are many office buildings in the area. It is not near anything of particular interest for tourists.

Here is a google link with photo of the area. https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=ayres+hotel+costa+mesa&fb=1&gl=us&hq=ayres+hotel&hnear=0x80dcdf6ffc576f79:0xef018412d803c0da,Costa+Mesa,+CA&cid=0,0,13406762409590127380&ei=fcsaUenmDO3xigLC1oGgCA&ved=0CMMBEPwSMAE

Edited: 6:11 pm, February 12, 2013
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Advice for a family stay around Newport Beach area

You can see from the photo that the Ayres Hotel is at the end of the airport runway. Planes take off in that direction. I wouldn't want to stay there.

Also, they don't show suite configurations. Just regular rooms at that location.

Edited: 6:16 pm, February 12, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 337
10. Re: Advice for a family stay around Newport Beach area

Where is your meeting?

Costa "Misery" as we called it growing up in Newport Beach is cheaper, but not all CM places are created equal. There are good, inexpensive places in Newport and Irvine I'd look at those places long before I'd go to Costa Misery.

Look at Newport Beach hotels like the Fairmont, Hilton, Residence Inn, Atrium, Raddison and Extended Stay America. There are also the Irvine Marriott, Hyatt Regency and Embassy Suites.

Edited: 10:21 pm, February 12, 2013