We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mojave preserve

Eastbourne, England
reviews: 208
Mojave preserve

Next month we will be driving back from Las Vegas to catch a late flight from LAX and are looking for somewhere to stop off on the way. Mojave preserve looks interesting, although we will need to stick with paved roads as we will be in a rental car. What should we try to see (We have visited death valley twice and loved the desert scenery, nothing like it back here in UK).

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 9
1. Re: Mojave preserve

Get of Interstate 15 at Cima Road and head towards Cima. Along this route is the largest concentration of Joshua Trees in the world, near Teutonia Peak. Follow the railroad tracks on Kelso Cima Road to Kelso. Wander thru the train depot/museum/park headquarters. Then take Kelbaker Road past the sand dunes to Interstate 40. At Kelso you can take Kelbaker Road out to Baker to rejoin I-15 past the lava fields, or take Kelbaker the other way past the sand dunes to I-40 and Barstow and rejoin I-15.

Yet another way is to continue Kelbaker to Route 66 and see Roys motel in Amboy.Then take 66 to Barstow or continue on Amboy Road to 29 Palms and Joshua Tree National Park. Do the north loop and end at the town of Joshua Tree. Then take hwy 62 to Interstate 10 past Palm Springs to LA.

That last option will take a while. If you are pressed for time, I would do the preserve, then I-40.You could stop at the R66 museum in Barstow.

Here are pics of the routes.

https:/…DriveThruMojavePreserve

https:/…

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 9
2. Re: Mojave preserve

There is a map of the roads in the NPS website.

www.nps.gov/moja

Eastbourne, England
reviews: 208
3. Re: Mojave preserve

thanks .... sounds just great

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 94
4. Re: Mojave preserve

We did Palm Springs to Vegas via Joshua Tree National Park & Mojave National Preserve in November. All the roads were paved and in good shape.

Here's a link with pictures from the drive and a map of our route:

…blogspot.com/2012/11/joshua-tree-route-66-m…

5. Re: Mojave preserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about California Desert