We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Kamari Safe for solo travellers?

Which Kamari hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dublin, ireland
reviews: 37
Is Kamari Safe for solo travellers?

Hi ,

I've read many of the posts on Kamari and feel like I have a good feel for the place however as it is my first real solo trip I just wanted to get folk's views on safety there? Obviously with any place there are risks so taking all reasonable precautions into account, is Kamari (and Santorini as a whole) safe enough to wander around alone? I dont plan on any middle of the night wanderings (!) but if out for dinner some evening is it safe to stroll back after dark?

I am staying at Atalos Villas in Kamari which I gather are not too far from the beachfront cafes/bars etc. I plan to go at the end of May so am hoping it wont be too busy at that point as Im not mad on jampacked resorts or cafes/bars etc and would prefer quieter places to eat/chill out with a drink. At the same time I would prefer not to be walking deserted streets alone!

any comments/tips would be appreciated.

thanks!

halfpint.

21 replies to this topic
Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
reviews: 20
1. Re: Is Kamari Safe for solo travellers?

Don't worry, Kamari, and Santorini in general is very safe and there are many solo travellers who vists, and return year after year (myself included).

Also, don't worry about walking deserted streets alone either - Kamari is a bustiling busy resort, even at the end of May, although nowhere near as mad as it'll get as the summer progresses. You'll have plenty of other people around, mainly UK and European visitors, and as long as you're sensible and take the usual precautions (don't flash your cash, bring out all your bling etc) there'll be no problems.

I'm no expert on Kamari as a resort (I much prefer Perissa), but if you have a look through the postings on the Kamari forums, you'll find a wealth of information regarding locations of restaurantns, hotels etc.

Martin

dublin, ireland
2. Re: Is Kamari Safe for solo travellers?

Hi Martin,

Thanks so much for your reply, its nice to hear it will be busy without overbearing. I plan to visit Perissa also and may even stay there at some point but will use Kamari as my starting point initially.

Im really looking forward to my first visit to Santorini, the first of many I hope!

thanks again!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
reviews: 20
3. Re: Is Kamari Safe for solo travellers?

Perissa isn't as busy or built up as Kamari, it has a much more laid back feel to it and I've always preferred it to Kamari.

You'll have a great time wherever you go, Santorini really is a lovely and friendly place. I went once (in 1999) and have been back every year since, not very adventurous I know, but I just love the place, and as a solo traveller, I always feel very comfortable and have made many friends on the island over the years.

Martin

London
reviews: 44
4. Re: Is Kamari Safe for solo travellers?

Kamari is totally safe, well, as safe as anywhere. What you will find is that there are bars and restaurants along 'the front', but also those in the next layer back, the side streets. Those in the next layer back are A) better, and B) would be more comfortable if you're on your own and want to watch the world go by. There are some great bars in Kamari that you can prop yourself up at. Mango is great for an early drink, followed by Albatross when it's a bit later and you want to see a bit of music. You'll have a wonderful time.

Cottage Grove...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
5. Re: Is Kamari Safe for solo travellers?

Kamari is NOT SAFE!!!

You will be in danger of having such a great time you'll never want to leave!!

newcastle
reviews: 17
6. Re: Is Kamari Safe for solo travellers?

BLL ha, too true!!

Kamari is totally safe

dublin, ireland
7. Re: Is Kamari Safe for solo travellers?

LOL.. thank you all for the great replies!! im so excited now I may burst! one month exactly and I shall be on my way, cant wait. Sunshine2107 thanks for the bar tips, Id actually heard of one of them so will definitely pay them a visit. BLL - thats what im afraid of! ;)

Now next question if thats Ok..Ive been looking at ferries and by all accounts the high speeds are unreliable so Ive decided to take the early morning BlueStar Naxos ferry. Takes an age to get there but I guess its more guaranteed - I plan to prebook ticket but will the ferries be jampacked at the end of May? (trying to decide whether to spend the extra few pennies on a business class ticket just for comfort factor for the 8hrs!)

Thanks so much again!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
reviews: 10
8. Re: Is Kamari Safe for solo travellers?

You'll have a great time.

If you're interested in hiking and ancient sites, visit Ancient Thera up on top of Mesa Vouno - the mountain that separates Kamari from Perissa. Its quite fun to walk up from one side, visit the site (closed Mondays), walk down the other, visit the beach and then take the water taxi back to where you began.

www.santonet.gr/archaeology/ancient_thira.htm

Also, if you like films, keep an eye on the website for the Kamari Cinema. This is an outside cinema that's just past the outskirts of Kamari on the road towards Fira. Its walkable from Kamari (I've done it) and a lovely place to watch a movie from. The doors open at 8.50 p.m. and the movie starts at 9.30 p.m. The staff will call you a taxi afterwards if its too late for the buses.

I received an email overnight responding to my question about when they'd be open this season:

"We will open either on the 30th of May or June 6. Our online program will be available around the 15th of May so you can check the exact date there."

http://www.cinekamari.gr/enframe.htm

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g658914-…

9. Re: Is Kamari Safe for solo travellers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, April 24, 2013

London
reviews: 44
10. Re: Is Kamari Safe for solo travellers?

I'm not an Oia or Pyrgos expect by any means... you may be better posting that question in the main Santorini forum.

Reply to: Is Kamari Safe for solo travellers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kamari
Recent Conversations