We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfers versus Car Hire

Which Cala'n Bosch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
On a cliff top
Level Contributor
43 posts
15 reviews
Transfers versus Car Hire

Hi, We are booked for CnB SC in August. Car hire prices are coming in at over 700 Euros for 2 weeks for a small family car. Ideally I would only need the car for a few days sight seeing maybe on the 2nd week and drop the car off at airport. Should I pre book hire for 2 weeks at that price or look at taxi/bus transfer to hotel then hire car loacally for 2nd week ?? Ridiculous the price increases for the summer months thought not unexpected.

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Transfers versus Car Hire

hi DLE08 700Euro seems a bit steep for 2 weeks car hire

My brother has just booked car hire through www.travelrepublic.co.uk 14th August pick up from Mahon airport and return 28th August to Mahon airport £320,00.

I think this is an off site car hire firm but its only ten minutes up the road in a free minibus.

He collects the car with a full tank of petrol and has to return the car empty even for two weeks this would be hard.

So basically the total car hire including fuel for two weeks in August is still only around £400 a bit cheaper then the 700euros you have been quoted.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Transfers versus Car Hire

Firstly -which firms have you looked at so far? There is lots of info on this forum and in the Top Question section about what to do and not to do with car hire - but basically the message is avoid using " pay up front when you book " booking agents if at all possible.

Secondly - cars are expensive AND in short supply in August so the longer you wait to book something the more expensive it is likely to get as all the lower cost cars are booked up first

Thirdly - you will find that most hire firms want you to return the car TO the office you got it from, therefore the idea of a short hire from resort and drop off at the airport is unlikely to work. If you only wanted a car for a few days in the second week you would be best off pre-booking with an in resort pick up and drop off.

Whether getting a car for the full two weeks and thus avoiding transfer costs (you do not mention how you were planning to get to the resort if you don't hire for the full period) will make it worthwhile only you can say .

I just ran a test enquiry with Owners Cars office in Cala N'Bosch for 3 days in mid August and a Cat B car with full insurance cover is coming out at 211 Euros with a full fortnight from the airport coming in at 840 with full insurance ( which I strongly recommend you always take as it is not worth the hassle of 500 euro excesses if you have an accident). By comparison Poppys Cars ( a good small local firm ) is coming out at 640euros for the full 2 weeks (plus 30 euros worth of fuel) including full comp insurance and free child seats if needed ( most firms charge extra per day for child seats) but they get booked up really quickly for high season dates and there may already not actually be availability that month - you submit an enquiry form via their website http://www.poppycars.com/index.php and Roger comes back to you by email to say if he can accomodate you).

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Transfers versus Car Hire

Hi - this is for Tony C

I don't want to be the bearer of possibly bad news but Travel Republic will NOT be supplying your brothers hire car as they only act as a booking agent agent and will put the booking with a third party. Hearing about it being an off site pick up brings to mind a large number of "bad experience" posts that were on this forum last summer about such companies some of whom charged large sums of unexpected "extras"- see tripadvisor.co.uk/…46298081. Gold Cars and BK cars came in for lots of criticism for less than perfect customer service

Those of us who go to the island regualrly all have our favourite firms but time and time again the message is book direct with a local firm . I strongly recommend anyone considering hiring a car on Menorca reads through all the threads linked to on the Top Question on the main island forum page before deciding who to go with

Cheap isn't always cheapest if that makes sense

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Transfers versus Car Hire

hi menorcaregula

he has just found out the hire company is hiper cars.

He knew when he booked that T..R were booking agents I agree with you about the extra costs some firms are charging but after using hiper myself for many years in Menorca I find them to be a very good hire company.

I know some people are shocked with the unexpected charges some car hire company''s charge. The full tank policy being one of them and you don't get the personal service you would get from some local company's poppy car being one of the better ones

But when it comes to cost after adding up all the extras you can still save a lot of money for example 2 weeks in August £575 poppy cars - £400 hiper cars with a full tank.

My advise to anyone booking a car is to read the small print and know exactly what your paying for.

Also before you drive the car check to make sure that there is no damage.

I know it can be a pain but a few simple checks can save you a fortune.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Transfers versus Car Hire

That's good Tony C, I had visions of them having an experience like those folk on the threads I mentioned beforehand!

I agree absolutely about checking the car very carefully before driving it away especially the panels beneath the number plate as no "undercarriage" damage is covered by the insurances and you do not want to be blamed for that if it was not you!

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
1 review
6. Re: Transfers versus Car Hire

And if the difference in full / minimal insurance is more than £50 (which it often is after only 3 or 4 days) then consider an annual policy such as this one

www.insurance4carhire.com/…

JtheD

On a cliff top
Level Contributor
43 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Transfers versus Car Hire

Cheers Tony C, I'll check them out, as you say just have to read the small print. My price was with poppys. I was thinking of taxi to resort then hire car for maybe a week 2nd week, might just do the whole 2 weeks, just a bit surprised at the price of hire cars in Menorca in August. To be honest Menorca is working out a very expensive holiday so far.

Dublin, Ireland
6 posts
8. Re: Transfers versus Car Hire

I totally agree with jon-the-dog on the insurance. I have used www.insurance4carhire.com for the past few years. I had a claim one year and they refunded me in full without any hassle. Just make sure you keep receipts etc.

we haven't booked our car hire yet and I'm getting worried about the cost now having read the above thread. As DLE08 said this holiday to Menorca is working out expensive. It's our first time going so I hope it's worth it!

kent
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
9. Re: Transfers versus Car Hire

You pay extra for Menorca but you don't get drunken idiots! :-) Enjoy.

Nottingham, United...
1 post
2 reviews
10. Re: Transfers versus Car Hire

Last year we used Sol Cars Menorca and they were absolutely fab. Highly recommend and we'll be using the again this year.

Get answers to your questions about Cala'n Bosch