We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Mt Cook Village worth a visit?

Which Mt. Cook Village hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 103
Is Mt Cook Village worth a visit?

My wife and I are going to be driving from Kurow to Christchurch, and it looks like it's not that much longer to go via Twizel (inland route) instead of the coastal route. We'll have done the coastal route from Christchurch to Dunedin a few days earlier so I think we'd be interested in seeing something different.

- Is it worth going the inland route?

- Is it worth going into Mt Cook Village? Seems to be about half an hour off the main route, so an hour in and out.

- Are there any short walks worth doing around this area to admire the scenery/good views of Mt Cook?

- We're going to be passing through towards the end of June, so I assume it's going to be cold, but what would the weather be like?

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
1. Re: Is Mt Cook Village worth a visit?

Mount Cook is well worth a visit on a nice day. Some short walks available around the glacier lake. Not sure if I would advise making a visit to Mount Cook village in cloudy/rainy weather. The mount John observatory is at its best on a cold frosty clear night.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 171
2. Re: Is Mt Cook Village worth a visit?

Aoraki/Mt Cook is my favourite place in NZ.. Definitely worth the trip if the weather is fine. Lots of short walks from 20 min to 3 hr. Don't miss one of the salmon farms. I like the Mt Cook Salmon farm, signposted from a few KM north of the Lake Pukaki Dam, but if the weather is bad the McKenzie Salmon Farm at Lake Ruataniwha is right on the highway.

Queenstown, New...
reviews: 95
3. Re: Is Mt Cook Village worth a visit?

Jo will correct me if I'm wrong. I think the drive into the Mount Cook village is an hour.

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 45
4. Re: Is Mt Cook Village worth a visit?

Hey Trelawn :)

The side road up the valley to Aoraki/Mt Cook is about 40 to 45 minutes. It's a stunning drive with the turquoise waters of Lake Pukaki off to the right and Aoraki and surrounding mountains up ahead.

And yes, Aoraki is well worth a visit - even better in stunning weather.

And don't miss the walk to view the Tasman terminal lake - the lake is a sickly greenish/brown, the glacier is a misshapen black with little icebergs bopping around - this is not National Geographic pretty, it's truly nature in the raw and quite stunning for it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasman_Lake

here's a pretty pic stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake…

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Enjoy :)

5. Re: Is Mt Cook Village worth a visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:40 pm, June 19, 2013