We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is self-guided walk at Mount Cook New Zealand is advisable?

Which Mt. Cook Village hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Is self-guided walk at Mount Cook New Zealand is advisable?

Hi, me and my wife are planning to have a walk at Mount Cook to Hooker Valley at 19 Sept 2011. How is the weather at Mount Cook in September? Is it suitable for trekking?

We first timer trekking in Mount Cook. Is it advisable to do it with guide or without guide?

Anything that we need to bring along / prepare for the walk?

Regards,

Lawrence

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 48
1. Re: Is self-guided walk at Mount Cook New Zealand is advisable?

Welcome to the forum Lawrence :)

There are some great walks at Aoraki/Mt Cook so if the Hooker Valley is knee deep in snow you could try another. It is unlikely to be knee deep in snow, but anything can happen in the mountains. On arrival check weather and track conditions with DOC (Dept of Conservation) or at the Hermitage. They will know the current conditions best.

Apart from that all you need is proper hiking boots (not sneakers), extra warm clothing in case you run into adverse conditons, water and food. Always let someone (your accommodation?) know where you are going, when you expect to return and don't deviate from the trail.

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

It's a stunning part of the world, enjoy :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 204
2. Re: Is self-guided walk at Mount Cook New Zealand is advisable?

The walk up the Hooker Valley is one of the most scenic in NZ. It is a well marked track but it is not a paved path so the levels can vary a lot, hence WL is right to recommend boots with ankle support but I have seen people do it in good quality trainers. Since it is a "there-and-back" walk you can decide when to turn back. Some people only go as far as the first swing bridge. If you are afraid of heights or it is very windy this might be far enough. I wouldn't call it "trekking"!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 142
3. Re: Is self-guided walk at Mount Cook New Zealand is advisable?

You should not venture of the marked tracks or do anything resembling climbing without a guide. I suggest you call into the DOC Visitor Centre where the helpful staff will tell you about expected weather conditions and where to go.

If you stick to the walk described by Zhuhai you will find it fabulous.

September is spring so you could have a variety of weather, perhaps all in the one day. The Mountain is usually clear in the morning so that will be when the scenery is at it's best. Locals referr to the Mountain as Aoraki, as it's correct name is Aoraki Mt Cook. Some can be fussy about that.

4. Re: Is self-guided walk at Mount Cook New Zealand is advisable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 17, 2012