We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tip money

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Bucerias hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 2
tip money

I am staying at the Royal Decameron this summer and I am wondering if there is a bank nearby where I can withdraw pesos, but more importantly, get them broken down into 20s and 50s for tips. Or will they do this at the resort itself? (front desk or bar...) Any suggestions?

19 replies to this topic
Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
reviews: 28
1. Re: tip money

There is a bank at the top of the hill by the RDC. You can withdraw pesos there. The resort 'exchange' booth will be able to make smaller bills for you.

Have a great trip!

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 6
2. Re: tip money

There is an OXXO store right beside the bank. Go buy something small and get change.

Edmonton, Canada
3. Re: tip money

Thanks for the advice!

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 5
4. Re: tip money

I order pesos at my CIBC branch and it takes a few days. I ask for notes in lower denominations. If you go to the main branch you may be able to get them without the wait.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 55
5. Re: tip money

We always order pesos ahead of time and, like Al H, we ask for an amount in smaller denominations. However, we never seem to have enough, so we use the bank machine at the top of the hill and have the money exchange at the hotel break it down - as nayarit08 suggested.

calgary
6. Re: tip money

banks in canada have terrible rates go to a calforex if you have one in your town way better rates than a bank. i have called all major banks and they cannot beat their rates. i have been going there for years and is great they have 2 locations in calgary now. a bank teller years ago told me they gave better rates than the banks. you can also use a bank machine down there and get a good rate as well. they have a scotiabank at the mega complex.

prince george
7. Re: tip money

Bartenders will usually be able to break down larger bills because they know that they are enabling you to tip them. It is to their advantage to put smaller bills in your pocket. Enjoy!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 32
8. Re: tip money

Luckily for the OP, there are two locations for Calforex in Edmonton- at West Ed and Southgate malls.

http://www.calforex.com/en/branches

We have none in Saskatoon, so we just order from our banks.

Edmonton, Canada
9. Re: tip money

Thanks everyone!

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 55
10. Re: tip money

Good reference for myself too, even though I typically use the local area ATMs - both at the airport and in Bucerias.

Apologies if I am resurrecting an old post; but, this looked like useful information.

It should be placed into the TOP ten questions area; imho.

Reply to: tip money
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted