We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from the Royal Decameron

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Bucerias hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rock Falls, Illinois
reviews: 1
Just back from the Royal Decameron

We just got back from a very relaxing week at the Royal Decameron! We booked through Funjet and had the private pickup service through Island Sun. Going through immigration and customs was uneventful. The “shark tank”, well that was another story. The sharks were lined up in two lines one on each side and the tourists had to walk between them. I made the mistake of making eye contact with one of them. He tried stopping me and he became very rude and shouted at me telling me to stop. LOL I kept right on walking.

The Island Sun representative was waiting for us with a cold towel and cold water. The car was ready and took us immediately to the Royal Decameron. Their service was wonderful. We would highly recommend them. Island Sun was even early at checkout and ready to return us to the airport when we were ready.

Once at the Royal Decameron, the checking in was quick. We have gone to the RDC every summer the first week of August for about the past 13 years. Shockingly, according to the bartenders, the resort was filled at about 90% capacity. I was shocked when I saw people standing in line waiting to get into the Fiesta Buffet in August. The food was typical buffet food, but of a bit better quality. The selections were great. Being fussy eaters, we never went away hungry.

The staff was amazing. They worked so hard to make sure everyone was having a good time. The grounds were immaculate. We were in block 4 as we requested. In the past there were beautiful green vines growing all the way up the trees. This year, the vines were in terrible shape. Early in the mornings, there was a worker climbing the trees and cutting down all the vines. When I asked why they were doing that, I was told the vines could not keep up with the iguanas. One morning, we counted eight very large ones outside our window in Block 4.

The Internet did not work at all in the room and our room was right above the lobby in block 4. When we went down to the lobby, the wifi was fast and connected immediately.

By all means, make sure you take in some of the shows at the resort. The dancing was fabulous! Make sure you go early enough or you won’t find a seat. The theater filled up quickly.

The only annoyance at the resort was a few rude and disrespectful young people. Sadly, many times the parents were standing right there with them. When a guard or lifeguard told them not do something, they would stand there and argue, or wait until the guard left and then did as they pleased. An example would be when they closed the pool early on Fiesta night so they could have the festivities along the pool. Some were determined they were going to swim even if they were told not too. Once the guard moved on, in the pool they went! I wanted to go up and smack a few of them. LOL

In an earlier posting, someone asked about the Pirate Ship cruise. We usually go on this tour every year, just for the scenery and we have also become good friends with one of the pirates. Sadly, in reality, this has become a “booze cruise” even if it is not advertised as one. In the past there was a brief history of the ship given, both in Spanish and English. There was also the religious ceremony with the costumes and the fire. This was all gone. Now there are just a couple of humorous acts involving the audience. The rest of the cruise was all dancing, loud music, and a very short pirate show at the end which had no meaning. LOTS of booze. There were some fireworks that were nice. The ship was filled to capacity with all three levels filled. The food was pretty good and the passengers had to eat in shifts. Again, there were the rowdy young people. It reminded me a lot of Cancun. There were also lots of very young children on this cruise.

I was really surprised by the large number of merchants selling on the beach this summer. What was even more surprising, was the large number of young children helping with the selling of the merchandise. I am talking kids in about the 2nd-3rd grade. Some of these kids would push the wheelbarrows through the sand while the adults would cut up the pineapples or the coconuts. Some kids would go around selling candy on sticks and bags of popcorn and other goodies. When they made a sale, off they would go to get the adult who was in charge of the money.

Overall, our vacation and our stay at the Royal Decameron was fantastic, as usual. Most of the employees remembered our names. They made us feel quite at home. We are looking at booking dates already for next summer.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
reviews: 34
11. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

Denilb:

We have used Funjet for many trips to the PV/NV area over the years. We are met by the Funjet rep (right after the shark tank) and put in a taxi. Pick up at hotel is same (our own taxi). This is included in their package deals.

Curious why you used a private firm and how much was it?

Rock Falls, Illinois
12. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

We have booked with Funjet many times. Yes, we were met by funjet rep. but they also had other people they were meeting. Since the RDC is the farthest out, we made several stops at other resorts on the way to the RDC. Returning to the airport also included leaving the RDC sooner than necessary and again making the stops at the other resorts to pick up other travelers. We just wanted to streamline our vacation a bit and miss all the unnecessary stops at the other resorts. The option for the private transportation was part of the Funjet package. I paid 51.00 extra. To me, it was worth it not having to make all the unnecessary stops.

N.H.
13. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

Glad you had a good time.

Port Alberni B.C
14. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

The first time we did the pirate cruise,it had the pirate show and Aztec religious show as well.Last year we did the pirate ship again,but we did the Canadian night,Last Saskatchewan pirate,which was more of a party boat.Are all the nights the same now.I would like to find out as we are planning on doing the boat again this year with friends that haven't done it before,so I want to know what the options are

Chicago, IL USA
reviews: 28
15. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

Fred514, listen to your mother. We were not impressed with the RDC. We are not picky eaters and still found it difficult to find something enjoyable. The grounds and pools are very nice though. As for the show, to each their own. We found them terrible. We LOVE Bucerias though and are returning this winter and renting a condo and enjoying the local cuisine.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
reviews: 23
16. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

Fred514. As you can see, the majority of people who go to the RDC really enjoy it. I used to go there 3 times per year before I moved here myself. There is only one poster on this thread who does NOT like the RDC. By far, the majority of people who go to this resort and are prepared for what to expect, really love it and go back again. I personally go there on day passes a few times per year just to enjoy the grounds, food, entertainment, and of course the staff. I'm sure you will have a great time.

danib. So glad you enjoyed your trip. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

17. Re: Just back from the Royal Decameron

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Bucerias