We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provo or North Caicos?

Los Angeles...
Provo or North Caicos?

My bf and I are going to TCI for a week. We live in LA so have plenty of fancy restaurants, hotel, and spas in our backyard. Not interested in that on a Caribbean vacation. We want to kick back, enjoy the beach, find a good watering hole with some local flavor and generally relax. Concerned about Provo being too touristy but North Caicos being too sleepy. Thoughts?

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 16
1. Re: Provo or North Caicos?

North is definitely very sleepy, so you may have to describe more what you are looking for. We find Provo to be too busy during peak periods and love the total relaxation we have on North. The Barracuda Beach Bar is a great spot to hang out, but you may be the only people there except for Clifford the owner, who can entertain you with stories of growing up there.

You could split your stay too, just in case. I have heard of people who were happy to get back to Provo after a few days on North, and others who were bummed they didn't just stay on North after they got to Provo.

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 4
2. Re: Provo or North Caicos?

The answer to your 1st question is PROVO. The answer(Thoughts) to your 2nd question is to take a side day trip to North Caicos and don't be too loud. DR. JIM

Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 22
3. Re: Provo or North Caicos?

I would also suggest for a first trip stay somewhere on Grace Bay.

The beach is amazing and not too crowded. It certainly is not like Cancuun,Aruba,Cayman.....

If you want a quiet day trip to experience a different feel....take the ferry over to North Caicos and explore there and drive over the causeway to Midddle Caicos.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Mike

Middle Caicos
reviews: 23
4. Re: Provo or North Caicos?

Two different islands, two different experiences. Provo can be as "touristy" as you want it to be (as far as Provo can be touristy, that is) or not. Depends on you. There will be more people on Provo, that's for sure. Still, not a lot of people by any stretch. Far, far less than you will find in LA. But, you won't have the beach to yourself. You'll see people on the beach, at lunch, at dinner, etc. But, not in droves. Grace Bay Beach is breathtaking. The water and sand is second to none, IMO.

North and Middle Caicos (don't forget Middle Caicos) are more rustic, far less populated with only about 1600 people on North Caicos and 168 on Middle Caicos. You'll be more "on your own" out there, and you will likely spend a day on the beach and never see another soul. You might pass 10 cars all day long. There are several places to eat on North, and on Middle Caicos, you have Blue Horizon Resort (www.bhresort.com) which is the only resort on Middle, and the only property with an on site concierge and onsite bar and grill. In my opinion, it's the most dramatic and spectacular view in the islands, and staying there is quite a treat. 3 night minimum at BHR, and you might want to get to checking on availability now, as BHR is pretty popular these days and booking fast, already for much of 2013.

BHR has a facebook page, a group you can join.

So do I, with lots of images and info at www.facebook.com/turksandcaicosguide.

There are also establishments on North Caicos where you can stay that have more service than say, a private villa or cottage.

You'll need a car on North or Middle for at least a few days, and if you stay on Middle, and don't rent a car, you'll need to arrange transportation to and from the ferry to Middle. BHR can do this for you.

You may or may not want to bring along groceries with you to North/Middle depending on how long you plan to be there and where you are staying.

Splittng between the two is very doable on your first trip. You might stay on Provo for a few days when you get there, head to North or Middle for 3 nights, and then back to Provo for a couple of nights before heading back into the real world.

One thing - you will likely spend more money, more quickly on Provo than you will on North or Middle. . . .

Ardmore, Oklahoma
reviews: 1
5. Re: Provo or North Caicos?

I am considering going to Turk Caios this summer and saw your info on here. I am wanting to find good seashells while there and was wondering if you might know where the best place for finding seashells would be. from. A lady from Sanibel Fl. just returned from there with beautiful seashells and mentioned finding the majority on North Caicos . Would you be able to give any info on shelling there? If so what about lodging there as well? Thank you Andrean

Edited: 9:49 pm, January 29, 2013
Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 16
6. Re: Provo or North Caicos?

There are lots of little shells on Whitby Beach, and the best spots to stay are either villas (Look at Datai Villa, Whitby White House on VRBO.com) or if you want a hotel look at Pelican Beach Hotel and Hollywood Beach Suites.

Ottawa
reviews: 1
7. Re: Provo or North Caicos?

I'm not a seashell expert, but I am a bit of a sunrise tellin snob (can't be chipped, must have yellow with strong pink rays) and we always manage to bring home a couple dozen when we stay on North.

Conch shells are abundant; most are bleached but many are nice. We finally brought home a conch shell on our last trip as it was a nice hand sized one that we brought on our carry on. Lots of other small shells that I don't know the name of, sand dollars, sea urchin skeletons, etc. On our last two trips we even found horse teeth.

8. Re: Provo or North Caicos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, September 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about North Caicos