We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying fresh seafood

Boston...
reviews: 31
Buying fresh seafood

We are group of friends planning Thanksgiving vacation on North Caicos. I've been reading posts on the forum regarding groceries and if I get it right meat/beef should be better brought from home and poultry can be bought on the island. But what about fish and other seafood? Should we also freeze and bring it with us or we can buy daily catch from local fisherman? If so how can we find them? Are there markets or local fish stores?

Ottawa
1. Re: Buying fresh seafood

We buy our fish,conch, and lobster from a local fisherman, Nat Gardiner. I can PM you his phone number if you wish. He keeps us well supplied during our stays. You can also try your luck at the end of Major Hills Road around 3 or 4, but that's pretty hit and miss. We got lucky this past summer and pulled up just as the lobster fisherman were coming in; bought the lobster right off the boat.

There are no local fish stores that I know of on North. Dard's in Bottle Creek sells a selection of frozen pork, beef and chicken at reasonable prices.

Edited: 12:31 pm, November 05, 2012
Boston...
reviews: 31
2. Re: Buying fresh seafood

Thank you very much for answering! We would be very grateful to have his phone number. It was also great to know about Dard's. I haven't seen too much info about it since it's probably fairly new.

Ottawa
3. Re: Buying fresh seafood

No worries.

I just sent you a PM with his phone number, as well as his daughter Chrischelle's email and phone. If you have trouble reaching Nat, Chrischelle is generally more than happy to make arrangements. With Nat, the most convenient thing for him (and you) is to have him drop the fish off at Miss B's. This is a restaurant just to the side of the paved road, on the right if driving from Whitby. Its pretty easy to find; just slow down as you pass buildings and watch for the sign.She'll hold the fish in the fridge for you until you're ready to pick it up.

As for Dard's, its one of the newer stores on North. Again, from Whitby, its on the right just as you enter Bottle Creek. If you go pass the police station or the school you've gone too far. Just to set the expectation though, this is really more of a large convenience store. Fresh fruit and veggies are limited and vary. As you walk into Dard's, you'll see a row of large freezers on the left with various prepackaged frozen cuts. Prices are actually reasonable. The cuts of meat are more towards the budget end of the spectrum; you're not going to find 2" thick AAA t-bone steaks.

To be honest, I've never bought any of the meat at Dard's (we only eat seafood when on North) but ex-pat's we know on the island shop there. They also accept credit cards which can be a good thing if you're trying to preserve your cash.

4. Re: Buying fresh seafood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, May 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about North Caicos