We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nosara In July

Which Nosara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Nosara In July

Hi,

I'm thinking about booking 4 or 5 nights in Nosara (The Harmony Hotel to be exact) in early - mid July. I was all set to book this trip until I read some concerning posts. Any advice anybody can give me on any or all of the following items will be greatly appreciated! I thank you all in advance!

1. Driving - Is it safe getting around in a 4x4 during the "green" season? Are the roads clearly marked and in good condition? Can I find my way with just a GPS?

2. Weather - How rainy is it really in July. I was hoping it'll only rain 1 - 2 hours a day and be bright and sunny the other time. Am I too optimistic? How likely will the weather permit me to surf, scuba dive, sun-tan and zip line?

3. Crime/Safety - Can I leave the hotel? Is it safe to go to the beach and into town?

4. Attractions/Activities - Any suggestions?

guanacaste
reviews: 33
1. Re: Nosara In July

About the weather , here is a site costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html but don't worry, it will rain a bit, 1 or 2 hours.

The area is safe, so yes you can leave the hotel and walk around, but play it safe, don't walk alone at night.

The road is kind of hard and there is one stream but normally it is in October when you have to be careful. Do rent a 4x4 for the road has many holes.

Set aside 1 or 2 days for a trip to Rincon de la Vieja Volcano. Lots of adventures and nature, great waterfalls (one as blue as Rio Celeste) and hot springs .....

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 4
2. Re: Nosara In July

Most likely you will have plenty of sun in July. Expect to go home with a tan. July and Aug are two of my favorite months here as generally you'll have beautiful sunny mornings and a cooling shower in the afternoon.

It's perfectly safe to walk around the area, or rent a bike! Even at night it's fine in the area, just don't walk the beach alone. FYI, the Tourist Police office is only about a block, on the same road as the Harmony. You can easliy walk to the nearby restaurants, even at night.

The roads are in excellent condition right now. They are being groomed for pavement, and many of the smaller towns are already getting pavement ... we hope to have the 'dots connected' in 3 months, but this is Costa Rica so can't count on it. There are no rivers to cross that don't have bridges when coming from the main road. From the other direction, (the beach road) there is only one tiny river to cross and is usually not a problem. All other rivers now have bridges. All that being said, the rainy season is starting, I expect some road work will be delayed, and downpours can wreak havok on our roads, so it's a good idea to have even a small SUV as opposed to a sedan. Harmony is a lovely hotel. Enjoy!

Florida
reviews: 63
3. Re: Nosara In July

Hello,

My husband and I just returned yesterday from Nosara. We rented the guest house of someone who was a great host. I did see Harmony while we were there and it is very close to the "tourist area" of Nosara. You will find restaurants, a good bakery, shops, etc. within walking distance but you should plan on having a 4X4 rental. We flew into Liberia and rented from National as they have an office in Nosara in case of any issues.

That said, you must be joking about the roads. They suck, but we drove around on them and enjoyed the adventure. Don't expect something you aren't going to find. The Daihatsu Bego we rented got us around but not without some concern. Don't drive at night especially if you have had a few cocktails. The sun comes up early and sets early too so plan your activities during daylight hours. Get out of bed with the sun and enjoy the birds and the monkeys. Buy a GPS and buy the maps for Costa Rica, without them the GPS won't do it. Many of the restaurants/attractions will not be on the GPS but it will get you to the beaches and some of the businesses. Also, make sure the first thing you get is the "Nosara Map" sponsored by Chiqui's. We were given that by our host and it was VERY HELPFUL. From the airport, use the inland route through Nicoya and farm country. You will have plenty of time to enjoy 4 wheeling the local roads once you arrive.

As for signage ... well there isn't much of that on those dirt roads. We used GPS coordinates to find the house we stayed in, provided by the owner. He had sent us photos of the sights along the road as there is only sign, blue stripes painted on a telephone pole at the turnoff.

Nosara is kind of a remote place. The roads in the condition they are, have kept it that way. If you are going in July, plan to see the turtles at Ostional The road to Ostional is bumpy and the rains can drain across the roadway causing ruts. Go slowly across the ruts. Sometimes you will have to drive just in first gear, but you will get there. That is an amazing place and turtle time is something you should not miss. Also, I recommend River Safari Tours at Boca Nosara. LeRoy and his wife, Kirsten, are very informative and we really liked it. They provide binoculars. You will need to make a reservation and they will be there when you arrive.

Oh yes, you should buy international time on your cell phone if your plan does not include it. This time of year, reservations by phone can ensure a happy experience. Places we liked were Il Pepperoni Restaurant, surfing at Playa Guiones, Romantica Restaurant, and the best boat captain for offshore or inshore fishing is, hands down, Captain Juan Mora owner of the Cowboy. Don't rely on Fishing Nosara for the best. They have the advertising but not the best captain. Many locals will tell you about Juan Mora. If you want to snorkel, go to Playa Rosada and Islita Rosada.

Weather: the green season is much like Florida in the summer ... without hurricanes. Humid and sunny with rain showers nearly every day, sometimes substantial. You will leave with a tan. Slather on that sunscreen first thing in the a.m. and then use the spray-on periodically for the rest of the day. Take a hat, bug repellent just for times when you are outside and they are bugging you, and a cheapo poncho and umbrella may come in handy. Also, keep these items in your knapsack, a dry bag for your phone is a good idea too. Plan to stow your GPS and charger in your knapsack each time you use your car. If you don't leave things, even sunglasses. in your car when you go places, especially the beach, you won't run into a problem. The people who encounter theft usually do so because they are careless.

WE HAD A GREAT TIME! You will too!

Castle Rock...
4. Re: Nosara In July

We just got back from a week in Nosara. We rented the Villa Sonita home and cabina for our 11 member family. The MissSky canopy tour was awesome, the bugs were biting but the fish weren't, and I got to visit the local medico to put my shoulder back in place after a surfing accident.

But the best - we had Lisbia Mora Cruz cook lunches and dinners for us! She was awesome, provided insights into the local cuisine, cooked organic and fresh foods - but most important for our group was the mass quantities that she prepared! Highly recommend her if you visit the area...

Philadelphia...
5. Re: Nosara In July

Thank you so much for the response. I'm glad to hear that you all had a good time. I'm leaving in 2 days and am very excited! I went with the 4x4 rental, a GPS and printed maps from google. Wish me luck!

6. Re: Nosara In July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 13, 2014