We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nosara - Petty crime is a big issue

Which Nosara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
reviews: 2
Nosara - Petty crime is a big issue

We just left nosara - we rented a vacation home that was broken into just before we arrived. We were told nothing can be left unattended on beach or it will be stolen . This is not the way I want to start my vacation. The roads are absolutely awful - dusty, bumpy and lots of rocks there are no paved roads . This place is only good to travel to if you are a surfer looking for waves, otherwise I would avoid area for vacation. If you do go there, I would stay at hotel or home with security system or guarded home.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
1. Re: Nosara - Petty crime is a big issue

sorry you didn't enjoy your time there, but you could've learned a lot about nosara if you asked. unpaved roads are quite common in costa rica, especially when you are outside of the major tourist areas. not leaving things unattended on the beach is rule #1 everywhere, not just nosara and not just costa rica. rule #2 is don't take anything with you on vacation that you can't afford to lose, and this goes for any country as well ie leave the diamond necklace at home. sadly petty crime is everywhere and no country has exclusivity to it so you should expect that it can happen anywhere.

there are a few things you can do do shelter yourself some from the possibilities of crime. as stated, don't bring unnecessary expensive things with you. ask if your lodging has a safe for cash, passports etc if it doesn't, keep looking. always play by big city rules, meaning you should do what you do to keep yourself safe in big cities like no walking down dark alleys, jumping in cars with strangers but mostly do research on your destination and ask any and all questions.

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 106
2. Re: Nosara - Petty crime is a big issue

Agree 100% with Sonny....I was in Hawaii at a beach (Maui-BIG tourist destination) and my car got broken into while I was out swimming...it happens all over the world. For your time in Nosara, thankfully the house did not get broken into while you were there...better a "stern warning" from the people who you were renting from than for them to say nothing and then have something happen....reality sucks some times and ignorance can definitely be bliss (until something bad happens that could have been prevented by a stern warning).

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Nosara - Petty crime is a big issue

So sorry...agree with you ...and hard to admited but petty crime in some areas is bad...again sorry!

Also roads to get to places sometimes are not the best...not long ago driviing around South Beach at Lincoln road...and for many blocks the roads were impasable almost...I understand your frustration...beecause that was exactly how I was feeling in Florida...

roadadvisor

4. Re: Nosara - Petty crime is a big issue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 05, 2014