We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada?

Which Nosara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sonoma, California
reviews: 7
Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada?

I have read a lot about each beach -- Playa Guiones and Playa Pelada. People seem to love both, and seeing that Playa Pelada rentals are much cheaper, I am wondering how important it is to stay in Playa Guiones area, given what we are looking for.

We have 3 young kids, and will be renting a home for 3-4 weeks. We will actually be working many days via Internet while the kids are in childcare. We will spend a lot of time at the pool at whatever house we rent. We won't be surfing. We'd love to have monkeys visit us, and don't want to feel in the middle of 'crowds'. We may go to the beach some, and want to be able to walk to it, but it won't be a daily visit. We really want the feeling of a remote, green, private location. That said, it would be really nice to be able to walk to a bar for drinks, 1-2 restaurants (but mostly we will be cooking at home), and a minimart -- and for these reasons, and since I keep reading that 'Guiones is the most desirable place to be' -- I hesitate about even considering Pelada. It's really hard to know how each area feels having not been there yet.

Would those of you who know the area recommend Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada , given what we are looking for?

10 replies to this topic
Central Penna
reviews: 27
1. Re: Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada?

If your not surfers, I would suggest Playa Pelada. It is a little further from many of the resturants, but if you get the right rental, you will be very close to a very nice section the beach. The Playa Pelada section has less rip currents than Playa Guiones. We satyed there in July and the howler monkeys were there everyday. Playa Guiones is more of the "downtown" area, which is more crowded and not as rustic . I'm sure Allyam will also give her thoughts. She lives in Nosara and has rentals in Playa Pelada. Have a great time, its a great area. Be sure you take the time to go to San Juanillo to see the most beautiful beach you can imagine.

Biel
reviews: 19
2. Re: Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada?

I would suggest Playa Pelade too. There's a restaurant and a bar at the beach. Guiones is more crowded and there are no trees or palms at the beach, just the hot sun.

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
3. Re: Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada?

Playa Pelada would be better for the kids, but without a car, I would stay in Guiones.

Nosara, Costa Rica
reviews: 19
4. Re: Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada?

I would toss a huge vote for Guiones if you want to be near restaurants, markets, and the beach. Do you surf? Yoga? Both are in Guiones. The beaches are very different. Pelada is cheaper because it is further from Guiones, which is where more things are happening. Pelada's got some good food, but not nearly as many choices.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada?

I like the two beaches...in your case and accordig to your info...Guinones...can be the one...

roadadvisor

Washington DC...
reviews: 11
6. Re: Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada?

Playa Pelada would be the better beach for your children to swim and play, however it is the more crowded beach. Most of the locals take their children there. It's much calmer and there is lots of shade. If you stay in Playa Guiones you would really need to watch your children on the beach because the waves can be very intense. But at Guiones you would be able to walk to shops, markets and restaurants a lot more easily.

Either beach will have you living in the jungle.

Why not stay in Guiones where you can walk to the shops, and then on the days you want to visit the beach drive or take an ATV over to Pelada? That's what we did.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 18
7. Re: Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada?

Playa Pelada is very unsafe. Apparently they have a few drawnings there every year. I experienced it myself. I was just a few meters away from other people in the water and was unable to stand or swim back. The current was too strong and i was getting weaker. I never experienced anything like it and I swam on tons on beaches around the world. Beware!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 2
8. Re: Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada?

Hello, first a correction! I do not have a rental in Playa Pelada. I have a rental in Guiones Beach Club so my Pelada house is where I live when the Giuones house is rented. It's just a little tico house and would not appeal to many vacationers! Tee-Hee!

Anyway, based on what you are looking for, 'private, green, remote, away from the bigger crowds' I'd choose Pelada. I think the beach is prettier at Pelada. There are many rentals within walking distance to 2-3 restaurants. There is more in Pelada than most people know about. As an alternative, look for a rental that is on the northern side of Guiones, closer to Gilded Iguana. From that area there are restaurants and shops, and you can walk over the point to Playa Pelada in 5-10 minutes. I would suggest contacting Surfing Nosara to help in your house search. And no, I do not get any commission from them. In fact, I PAY them to rent out my beach house! It's just that they really know most house rentals in the area and could be a big help to you!

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 12
9. Re: Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada?

Have visited here over the last 3 years; have grandchildren here: beach great for children;stay in Guiones by the Gilded Iguana; Pelada has a higher crime rate.

Toronto
reviews: 26
10. Re: Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada?

I like both beaches, Pelada does have some nice shade and is a beautiful crescent shape, there is a cut-through on the south end of Pelada that gives you access to Guiones beach in the daytime, you need to respect the water at either beach, always good to have a surf or boogie board with you,

Reply to: Playa Guiones or Playa Pelada?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted