We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food supplies

Which Nosara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Maine
Food supplies

I need some local advice about food sources. Am renting in Nosara for two weeks at the end of January. .One of our party is on a very restricted diet... but we are renting a house so we can do most of our own cooking anyway.

Where are the best grocery stores? We are flying into Liberia.. do we want to stop in Nicoya along the way? I am looking for good chicken ( is organic possible?) and good fresh vegetables. I know fresh fish is easy to get... but want a good source for lots of vegetables..

And coming from the US .. and the Northeast at that, are there vegetables down there I shouldn't miss but may not be familiar with?

When we go to Mexico we have to be very careful for example about eating salads out, because of contaminated water. Do we need to worry about that in Nosara?

Thanks,

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Food supplies

Thanks God you do not need to worry about our water...just common sense...!

You can do your shopping in 3 places...Liberia...Nicoya...Santa Cruz...some nice size markets...even at some places in Samara...

Most of our chicken have not any artificial drugs or hormones to make them bigger...great chicken around!

roadadvisor

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
reviews: 49
2. Re: Food supplies

You do not have to worry about the water. Just about everybody is fine drinking tap water or eating salad.

You can go shopping in Liberia or Nicoya. However, if you want to shop in Liberia, you are actually going in the opposite direction than you would go toward Nosara. Thus, I would simply head to Nicoya from the airport.

Most people in the Nosara/Samara area actually do their shopping in Nicoya. There are some stores in Nosara as well, but most people do their major grocery shopping in Nicoya simply because they tend to have more products available and because prices are generally lower.

Some go to Maxi Bodega but many prefer Super Compro. There's also Pali, but I find that their selection usually does not line up well with North American needs.

At any rate, Maxi Bodega is on the left-hand side at the turn-off to Nicoya - you cannot miss it coming from LIR. It's a big store with a big sign that offers anything from groceries to coffee makers.

For a dedicated grocery store, keep driving the road that leads into Nicoya (and towards Samara/Nosara). There will be a big hospital on your right and across the street (on your left) is Pali. You can try it but I must admit that it isn't really for me.

Just a little bit down the road you will see the Banco Nacional on the left, followed by Super Compro on the corner of the intersection.

That's where you will find most of the items you probably want.

If you happen to arrive on a Friday, you should also take note that there is a farmer's market on the way out of town. Again, going toward Nosara, you cannot miss it - it will be on your right.

Chicken is easy to find and you will likely discover that it is MUCH tastier than in the US - for the very reasons that roadadvisor listed. Even lowly Burger King Chicken Nuggets taste a ton better than back home...

In terms of vegetables, I don't think there is too much that you can't get in the US. There are, however, some great fruits to be had.

I would suggest you order a Guanabana en aqua when you get a chance - this is a refreshing drink. Guanabana is called Soursop in English and while it can occasionally be found at specialty markets in select large urban areas, it's still quite rare in the US due to problems properly transporting the fruit.

Edited: 3:30 pm, December 10, 2012
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
reviews: 49
3. Re: Food supplies

I should add that there are a few other grocery stores in Nicoya - but most are not really worth a stop since they basically replicate what you can find anywhere else.

BTW, if you happen to need some more difficult items to find (like Wasabe or Edamame), you should try the Super Samara in Samara. There is also a small store in Playa Carrillo that occasionally offers items you wouldn't expect to find here. It's on top of the hill toward the cemetery - on your left.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
4. Re: Food supplies

for good chicken, ask a local once you get to nosara. many ticos raise chickens in their backyard for food and these are guaranteed organic freerange. they taste really good but will require some extra chewing!

Central Penna
reviews: 27
5. Re: Food supplies

You could also go to your rental and drop off your bags ect.., then drive a short distance to the Super Nosara in Norasa. It has everything you will need for your stay, including a hardware dept. for those last minute needs, like cheap water toys, beach chairs or charcoal.

Portland, Maine
6. Re: Food supplies

Thank you ALL so much! this is really helpful.

Isn't there a farmers market in Nosara as well? What day is it?

Nosara
reviews: 2
7. Re: Food supplies

The Organico Deli-Market is right in the center of Playa Guiones and has a variety of organic foods, fresh vegetables, vegan and non-gluten prepared foods and everything you need for a vacation stay in Nosara.

8. Re: Food supplies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 18, 2013