We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family with a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old - where to stay?

Which Nosara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westfield, New...
Family with a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old - where to stay?

My family of 4 (me, my husband, and my 1 and 2.5 year old) are traveling to Costa Rica for a wedding in February. My husband's parents and brother and sister will also be coming. I am trying to figure out what the best situation for our accommodations will be. A villa, or a hotel? If we stayed in a villa, we would need 6 bedrooms. If we stay in a hotel, we'd need some kind of suite with 2-3 bedrooms for us (my kids don't sleep well in the same room as each other or with us), plus rooms for the other adults.

I'm wondering if we're better off staying in a larger, more family friendly hotel (like a Hilton or a Marriott) and traveling to the wedding location just for that day. If we do that, which large hotel is closest to Nosara?

I should also mention that we will be in Costa Rica for 7 days.

We have also received recommendations for L'acqua Viva Hotel and Giardino Tropicale. What are your opinions on these?

The villa setup we have received a recommendation for is this new construction villa: salagnacarquitectos.com/site/ONGOING_PROJECT…

with the Sacred Spaces villa across the street for my husband's parents and sister and brother.

Help!! We have been researching and going in circles for months now, and it's getting down to the wire. We need to choose something family friendly and fun!

Thanks in advance!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: Family with a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old - where to stay?

IMO you are foolish to rent a villa under construction when all you have to go on are the construction photos (and I work in construction). You need to find an option that is already complete and has reviews available online.

I would not suggest staying at an AI as there are none in close proximity to Nosara. AIs are not really a good choice for visiting Costa Rica as they tend to be in isolated settings, far removed from tourist attractions. And you'd still be stuck with the need for multiple bedrooms just for your family if the kids won't sleep in the same room.

Much better off to check out a hotel with restaurant onsite so you can enjoy meals as needed and close proximity to Nosara's beautiful beaches. I have not stayed at Giardino Tropicale but the apartment there sounds like it would work well for your immediate family with parents and others booking hotel rooms. Only downside is that it is not beachfront and you will have to watch the kids like a hawk with the pools there.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 12
2. Re: Family with a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old - where to stay?

Look very carefully at any photos that you might see; we are in Guiones right now and lots of places have bedrooms with lofts with scary ladders; this grandma has been extra vigilant with our two grand babies visiting in the house we are staying in.

Suggest that you look at VRBO or check with Surfing Nosara to check their rental houses. Check out Dos Cocos.....

Don't know your budget but the homes for rent here are very comfortable; you will need a car ; the roads here in the location are not for the faint hearted once you leave Nicoya.

Westfield, New...
3. Re: Family with a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old - where to stay?

Thank you both. The only reason I even considered the one under construction was because a rep at Surfing Nosara and the travel coordinator for the wedding both went to check out the site and recommended it. How old are your grand babies? Are you comfortable with them there? What kinda of activities are you doing with them?

I feel that with our children so young, we wont be able to partake in the regular adventurous activities that CR boasts. That's why I'm thinking we should splurge and/or make sure our accommodations are comfortable because we may be spending a lot of time there!

We have arranged to rent two cars, one with carseats obviously, for our time there. The planner there did that for us, and I was surprised they were so pricey- about $1000 for each! AWD automatic cars.

Thanks again...still much to consider I guess.

Edited: 4:36 pm, November 26, 2012
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 12
4. Re: Family with a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old - where to stay?

My grandbabies live here;)) Lots of lovely beach for them: no issue. The beach at Playa Guiones is long and perfect to take your fussy baby for a long stroller ride and put them to sleep! At low tide of course;)).

Dud you check with Harmony House?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: Family with a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old - where to stay?

You can also PM allylam DE for Nosara...great decent person and she lives in Nosara full time...if somebody can answer your questions is HER...

Roadadvisor

Westfield, New...
6. Re: Family with a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old - where to stay?

thank you!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 2
7. Re: Family with a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old - where to stay?

Well, first of all, I know the house under construction. One of my best friends husband is the builder. It's a great location so if suits your needs, I would email her and ask about when it will really be ready. Tell her Ally sent you and she will be truthful about it. Well, hopefully she would be truthful about it anyway, ha! (and tell her I say hello as I am currently in the states and miss her a lot!) Anyway, the house is a good location, for sure. Very close to the beach, Harbor Reef Hotel and Beach Dog Cafe.

As for someone who mentioned Dos Cocos, thank you! That's my house. We are booked from Feb 11-27 and in any case, it's only three bedrooms. BUT, the same friend mentioned above also manages the other 4 houses located in Guiones Beach Club where Dos Coco's is located. It would be great to be able to rent a couple of those as they are very close to each other. Her name is Ann Marie, her husband is John. She can be reached at 'ame10000@aol.com'

For anyone who is wondering, no I am not going to make any commission on this in any way. I'm just trying to help. Oh, and I also trust all the guys at Surfing Nosara as they been booking our house for over two years and are nice guys.

Harmony hotel is very nice, and do have some 2 bedrooms. I don't like the location (or the reputation) of La Aqua Viva, and while food is decent at Giardino, it's not a great location either, but may be fine for you if you don't want anything fancy. It's an old property.

Hope this helps.

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 1
8. Re: Family with a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old - where to stay?

Did you check out Reserva Conchal? Its on the same beach as the Westin (you have use of some of their facilities) and they have a private beach club on Playa Conchal, nice spa, close to brasilito, Tamarindo, etc. They have larger upscale condos - 2-3 bedroom units, full kitchesn. Really a beautiful facility. It would be about 45 min to an hour from Nosara. . The Sanctuary would be closer to Nosara, and offer similar type accomodations, but fewer resort facilities. You could also splurge a bit and do one of the villas at Punta Islita - again, more of a self contained resort, but lots to do there and with the improved roads, a reasonable drive to Nosar (but further from the LIr airport)

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 2
9. Re: Family with a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old - where to stay?

gringagirl, with all due respect, in what world is it possible to drive from Conchal to Guiones in 45 minutes to an hour? It takes a couple hours. I would never consider The Sanctuary as there is nothing else around there. Punta Islita is lovely but again, will take at least 1-1/2 hours from Nosara, IMO.

10. Re: Family with a 1 year old and a 2.5 year old - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 17, 2013