We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Scool - Location Advice

Which Nosara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 6
Spanish Scool - Location Advice

We are family of four (two teens) looking for Spanish training for one week of our stay next July in Ganacaste. I have investigated Academia de Espanol Nicoya (which offers classes in Samara), Samara Language School (Intercultura), Nosara Spanish Istitute, and CPI (Flamingo Beach campus). All seem to have their pros and cons; I am hoping for some guidance with my decision from those with experience in Costa Rica (we've never been there).

I have received good correspondence from Academia de Espanol Nicoya (classes run out of the Hotel Belvedere in Samara). The drawback here is that there are no "fun" activities (like cooking or dancing) that my teens would enjoy. Intercultura looked inviting for its beach location, but they offered no programs for those under age 18. Nosara offered a flexible program and nice accommodations at a good price but the campus is a half hour walk to the beach and I'm also wondering about being "stuck" in Nosara in July. CPI seems like a reputable school, but I'm wondering how authentic of an experience we will get being in Playa Flamingo - it seems rather upscale.

Any comments about these schools or locations are most welcome. Thanks.

St Augustine...
reviews: 35
1. Re: Spanish Scool - Location Advice

you are really fooling yourself if you think you will make great strides in a Spanish school in a one week session. Yes you'll learn some phrases and vocabulary but to really get to a level of fluency you need a minimum of 5-6 weeks. I am basing this on my experience of spending a year in Costa Rica with 4 1/2 months devoted to learning spanish. I was focused since I wanted to marry a tica woman that was going to have my baby. Now 8 years latter I am very fluent, we are married, Jarrell is 7 and we all are , for the moment living in Florida. We travel back to Costa Rica and Nicaragua regularly. Our little boy is very bi-lingual but my wife struggles as I speak spanish which doesn't help her. I reccomend the school in Flamingo if you are going for a week. There is great snorkeling, nice beaches and alot to do. The school in Nosara is somewhat of a house school and Nossara is isolated, but has great beaches and fishing.

Edmonton, Canada
2. Re: Spanish Scool - Location Advice

Thanks machspeed, but I am really not looking for advice on how much Spanish I will learn in a week but on location. Your information on Flamingo and Nosara is appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Spanish Scool - Location Advice

NOt a lot of Spanish in one week...but some great old fun...good idea...GO FO IT!!

Nosara is a great little town...Samara a little bigger !

roadadvisor

Edmonton, Canada
4. Re: Spanish Scool - Location Advice

Thanks Roadadvisor. For a week with two teenagers, which would you recommend - Nosara or Samara?

5. Re: Spanish Scool - Location Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 02, 2013